Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extremely slow fps...only 1-8 fps most of the time :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JaydinKay

Okay, so I'm trying to play Zelda: Twilight Princess on the r5348 version of dolphin. When I open the game, it goes to the little "warning" screen that shows before almost all games, with a "press any button to continue" thing, but no matter how many times I press buttons (i'm using a keyboard), it doesn't register in the game...if I wait long enough, it'll go to the introductory scene with Link riding his horse, and this scene runs at about 4 FPS... I try pressing buttons during this to skip it but again, it doesnt register. Eventually (very slowly) it makes it to the "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess...press start to continue" screen, and I press start, but nothing happens...then it goes to the introductory scene and plays it again. I've tried absolutely everything but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. My computer specs are:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, build 2600)
894 MB ram available
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+, MMX, 3Dnow, ~2.2 GHz
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series

My dolphin configuration:
+Enable Dual Core
+Enable Idle Skipping
Frame Limit: Off
+Confirm on Stop
+HLE the IPL
+Locks threads to cores
+Jit Recompiler
+Dolphin Direct3D9
+Dolphin DSP-HLE Plugin
+Dolphin kb/x360 pad

Graphics configuration:
Graphics card: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series
Aspect Ratio: auto
Fullscreen Resolution: 640X480
Anti-Alias mode: 2.25X SSAA
+Enable CPU->EFB access
+EFB scaled copy
+Enable EFB copy to ram

I don't know what to do anymore....I've tried all the stuff noted in the "Complete dolphin setup guide" on this forum to speed up the game, but nothing has worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sorry dude your pc is too slow very to slow
minimum requis dual core few games or more games very fast dual 2 go ram is now a minimum to get a pc start
oh sorry your video card not support if your read de guide look better on minimum systeme requis
Way to slow indeed. Although you might get a couple more FPS by checking Copy EFB to texture, instead or RAM in D3D plugin config.

To get decent speeds in just Gamecube games, i'd recommend a dual core processor above 2.6ghz (ideally around 3ghz or more). Something like a nice Core 2 Duo, Phenom II, or even Athlon II (like mine). Also recommend over 1GB of memory. I have 2 and i'm probably not in the ideal place. Lastly, at LEAST my GPU for just native resolution. Mine runs pretty well considering, and it's one of the worst you can have for Dolphin (if not the worst). But it runs, on native res anyways. It also helps tremendously if you have a CPU that supports 64bit processing, as well as an OS that can RUN 64bit apps. Dolphin has both 32bit and 64bit versions. I've tested both. One on XP 32bit, the other on windows 7 64bit. Even though 7 takes much more power up than XP, just being able to run 64bit apps was apparently enough of a speed increase to give me a 30%-50% improvement in speed, depending on the game. So 64bit matters a lot.

JaydinKay

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I know this computer is a very slow one and it really sucks because I have wireless internet that is also very slow in itself Sad Maybe some day I'll be able to get a new, faster computer...I can only hope!
If you can scrounge up $500, you can surely make a decent PC yourself. I would have done that myself. I ended up having to settle for a Dell around $500 (gift card, couldn't build one), but as long as i play on native, it's perfect for playing 98% of all gamecube games. Even some Wii games play fullspeed. So if you can get that much money, you can definitely get a PC that can play Dolphin comfortably.
Seeing that its a singlecore... Disable Dual Core
enable dualcore also gives a low speedup on singlecore CPUs afair.
(04-14-2010, 11:17 PM)FloW3184 Wrote: [ -> ]enable dualcore also gives a low speedup on singlecore CPUs afair.

Disable dual core speeds mine up more in games like SMG but when I have that enabled only get like 4-8 fps Confused

Edit: Fixed grammar due being half asleep... Sleepy