Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Downloading games you own
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Directly from Nintendo's legal site
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Quote:Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

So no, you can't. you have to rip the game. Otherwise you are engaging in piracy and could be held legally liable if caught.
You were'nt aware of this?

Is there a reason for delfino?
This is the one truthful thing I've seen come from Nintendo, unlike their stance against emulation. That paragraph is 100% correct according to US law and the laws of some other countries, however each country has their own set of laws so what is illegal in one country may not be in the next. Since Dolphin is hosted on US soil (to my knowledge), they have to conform to US law and avoid legal trouble from Nintendo.
I think legal game owners should be allowed to download games that they own, but I guess the logic is that once you start downloading games you do own, then what is stopping you from downloading games you do not own. Then before long you just stop buying games altogether and end up just downloading any game you want for free.
we knew this... its been brought up many times.
(04-10-2010, 02:04 PM)Apostacious Wrote: [ -> ]we knew this... its been brought up many times.

Well after resent post of pirates might be good reminder for people to see after they join the forums... So yea best let that out there? Confused
i remember seeing that quote or some similar one in the stickies but they changed the forum rules a while ago and unsticked some things, don't know why.
(04-10-2010, 02:04 PM)Apostacious Wrote: [ -> ]we knew this... its been brought up many times.

Obviously not everyone, every day there pops up some random 1 post who asks for help with his downloaded game.
(04-10-2010, 06:38 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]

Obviously not everyone, every day there pops up some random 1 post who asks for help with his downloaded game.

and you think this random thread in delfino plaza is gonna help on getting rid of those people who don't even bother reading forum rules? No? i didn't think so.
(04-10-2010, 01:58 PM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I think legal game owners should be allowed to download games that they own
you know how many exploits you make with that reasoning?

also, i totally agree with nintendo on that.