Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Sunshine water sparkles effect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Yoasakura

Super Mario Sunshine emulation on Dolphin is almost perfect, one of the few things I noticed were missing is the water sparkles from the ocean water.

Here's the screen from the game running on a real gamecube:
[Image: smsmipmaprealgcnshot.jpg]
You can see the effect in the background there, but here's how it looks like on dolphin:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6509/sm...olphin.jpg

I found out that this effect is not showing up due to Dolphin not loading the original texture mipmaps, it's generating mipmaps automatically, and since this effect is a mipmap trick, nothing appears.
[Image: smsmipmapswater.png]
This is the texture ripped using BMDView2.

Then I decided to test the Load hi-res textures and switch the texture with one of the mipmaps, and here's what I got:
[Image: smsmipmaphirestex.jpg]
Mipmap level 1
[Image: smsmipmaphirestex2.jpg]
Mipmap level 2

You can try it out by enabling Load Hi-res textures,
Save this texture and rename it to "GMSE01_084f4417_0.png" (Without quotes of course)
And then, create a folder under User\Load\Textures, named GMSE01 (for US version) and place the image there.
[Image: gmse01084f44170.png]
This will only work for delfino plaza, because each level uses a different texture.

Of course this "hack" does not recreate the effect correctly, because the effect needs mipmaps, but it does make things a little bit closer to the original.
Hmmm, very smart trick, I tried finding out why the mipmaps did not load correctly before, but I never realized that it was not trying to load them, like you did, probably because when I did this years some ago I had very litlle programing experience..... Big Grin Congrats, and thanks for tha info......
I couldnt even look in the source because it was not open source so a guess like that would be nearly impossible Big Grin LOL