Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: ATI 5450 (1GB) v integrated ATI 4200
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have been running the emulator for a while now. getting decent performance on most games with a athlon II x2 250 (3GHz) and the integrated Ati 4200 which shares 512mb memory. Currently games such as mario galaxy, mario kart wii and metroid prime suffer getting on average around half speed (~25fps). To compensate i use frameskipping.
Would upgrading to a 5450 help with the frame rates of these games? I picked the 5450 cause I want a lower power and noise GPU for my HTPC. Is there any other more suitable cards u would suggest?

Any help would be great!

Jim
I think a overclocked cpu may performance better.
yeah, you should notice a very minor speedup, but i wouldn't buy it (and never pay more than 40 bucks for this piece of...).

the best price/performance ratio imo right now is the hd5770 (around 100 bucks), and it's more than 4-5 times faster then a 5450. but that's also kinda fked up, a few months ago you could get a hd4870, a gtx260 or even a hd4890 for almost the same money (all three are a little faster than a hd5770).

better wait a month if u don't have enough money right now, cause the 5450...don't do it. just my opinionWink

btw sorry for bad engrish

[EDIT] your processor is perfect for most games, but for galaxy and prime 3,5GHz would be perfect imo, also for galaxy i'd recommend to disable audio throttle and framelimit (strange frame limiting issues)
(04-09-2010, 11:03 PM)oohladeeda Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, you should notice a very minor speedup, but i wouldn't buy it (and never pay more than 40 bucks for this piece of...).

the best price/performance ratio imo right now is the hd5770 (around 100 bucks), and it's more than 4-5 times faster then a 5450. but that's also kinda fked up, a few months ago you could get a hd4870, a gtx260 or even a hd4890 for almost the same money (all three are a little faster than a hd5770).

better wait a month if u don't have enough money right now, cause the 5450...don't do it. just my opinionWink

btw sorry for bad engrish

[EDIT] your processor is perfect for most games, but for galaxy and prime 3,5GHz would be perfect imo, also for galaxy i'd recommend to disable audio throttle and framelimit (strange frame limiting issues)

I have enough money for that but i dnt want a proper gaming graphics card as i have a small form factor pc, which is designed to quiet, cool and has a low energy consumption. Hence why i was looking at the 5450.
Would a 5570 be more suited? From reading around people say the GPU dnt matter all too much, would the extra horsepower in say a 5770 make much difference?
the 5670 is low power, great for HTPC, it's probably the best 50-60$ card with dx11...compared to an onboard card, yes you would get better framerates.
5770 is great, only i don't recommend for HTPC's, but it's only my opinion
i think it would be better to upgrade from an integrated card
you just might a speed increase
yea you will get a speed increase because it's the bottleneck of your system. I also have a onboard radeon 4200 and an athlon II x2 250 and know for a fact it is.
(04-10-2010, 03:06 AM)RDilus Wrote: [ -> ]yea you will get a speed increase because it's the bottleneck of your system. I also have a onboard radeon 4200 and an athlon II x2 250 and know for a fact it is.

onboard 4200 is ''fine''...but look at my 6150 ONBOARD, it's a horror show
I don't see any way that his new video card is going to improve performance over what he currently has. Maybe in AA, but that is all.
(04-10-2010, 05:56 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any way that his new video card is going to improve performance over what he currently has. Maybe in AA, but that is all.

that's not really true, even if dolphin IS CPU dependant that don't mean ur GPU can be anything that accepts ogl 2.1 and that's all.
look at killersnake, before he had a 6100 like me and his frames per second were frames per minute, after he bought his 8400gs his fps rose up...
Pages: 1 2