Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My Wiimote autopair solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
First, let me introduce myself. I've passively followed this community for a year now and I've been amazed at how it has evolved. I'm a student and a programmer and I'm now posting to share with you and ask feedback on a little utility I made on my spare time.

This utility provides nothing but confort when trying to sync up a (one or more) wiimote(s) to a PC. I have a HTPC capable of running Dolphin and for a while now I've been looking for a way to sync up a wiimote without having to get off my couch.

My solution is a daemon that runs in the background actively searching for Wiimotes and pairing them. Whenever it detects that a Wiimote has been disconnected, it removes them from the Device list so that it is "pairable" (Is that a word?) again with windows. At the moment its a console application because I'm testing it to make sure it's stable, but my intention is to leave it as a daemon running in the background.

Whenever this app detects a process (configurable by a list in an ini file) it stops trying to pair wiimotes and increases its idle time. It still will look for disconnected wiimotes, but that's intended.

I'm putting it here for you guys since it'll probably be useful to someone.
It's a windows application and its only compatible with Microsoft's Stack. And it requires .NET 2.0.

Please test it and let me know how it works for you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3071110/WiimoteDaemon.zip

I have an installer ready (that has a silent version of it) to leave it in the Startup folder but I'd like to get some feedback on it's stability first.

PS: This is not the panacea, but it is what it is. Some might find it's a complete load of cr4p others might not. Constructive criticism please.
PS2: If an application that uses a wiimote is open, it probably won't work, but, let me know how that works.
PS3: I've only tested it in Win7 x64 machines. That's all I have available for testing.
Final PS: I'm not a native english speaker so I'm sorry if I have spelling and/or grammar errors but I want to learn from them so, please, point them out if you feel like it.

Edit: Forgot to tell you that you have to press 1+2 buttons to sync up the 'motes. Once they are connected you should see all 4 leds lit up.
(04-05-2010, 05:04 PM)Lugaidster Wrote: [ -> ]First, let me introduce myself. I've passively followed this community for a year now and I've been amazed at how it has evolved. I'm a student and a programmer and I'm now posting to share with you and ask feedback on a little utility I made on my spare time.

This utility provides nothing but confort when trying to sync up a (one or more) wiimote(s) to a PC. I have a HTPC capable of running Dolphin and for a while now I've been looking for a way to sync up a wiimote without having to get off my couch.

My solution is a daemon that runs in the background actively searching for Wiimotes and pairing them. Whenever it detects that a Wiimote has been disconnected, it removes them from the Device list so that it is "pairable" (Is that a word?) again with windows. At the moment its a console application because I'm testing it to make sure it's stable, but my intention is to leave it as a daemon running in the background.

Whenever this app detects a process (configurable by a list in an ini file) it stops trying to pair wiimotes and increases its idle time. It still will look for disconnected wiimotes, but that's intended.

I'm putting it here for you guys since it'll probably be useful to someone.
It's a windows application and its only compatible with Microsoft's Stack. And it requires .NET 2.0.

Please test it and let me know how it works for you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3071110/WiimoteDaemon.zip

I have an installer ready (that has a silent version of it) to leave it in the Startup folder but I'd like to get some feedback on it's stability first.

PS: This is not the panacea, but it is what it is. Some might find it's a complete load of cr4p others might not. Constructive criticism please.
PS2: If an application that uses a wiimote is open, it probably won't work, but, let me know how that works.
PS3: I've only tested it in Win7 x64 machines. That's all I have available for testing.
Final PS: I'm not a native english speaker so I'm sorry if I have spelling and/or grammar errors but I want to learn from them so, please, point them out if you feel like it.

Edit: Forgot to tell you that you have to press 1+2 buttons to sync up the 'motes. Once they are connected you should see all 4 leds lit up.

What for we can already pair up wiimotes easily within dolphin, even multiples wiimotes at the same time in one go. The Pair-up button within dolphin also removes old drivers first. Apart from that you won't be able atm to re-pair the same wiimote as long dolphin is still running, cuz "WIIUSE" wont properly release the HID device handle, rendering re-pairs corrupt. All together i don't see any big need in your application.
(04-05-2010, 10:40 PM)schez Wrote: [ -> ]What for we can already pair up wiimotes easily within dolphin, even multiples wiimotes at the same time in one go. The Pair-up button within dolphin also removes old drivers first. Apart from that you won't be able atm to re-pair the same wiimote as long dolphin is still running, cuz "WIIUSE" wont properly release the HID device handle, rendering re-pairs corrupt. All together i don't see any big need in your application.

As far as I know I can't pair them with dolphin without getting off the couch. That's why I did it. Besides, dolphin's auto pair doesn't work for me in neither of my computers.

I use WMC to launch dolphin and plan to use WMC to pair them automagically with the daemon.

If you don't find it useful fine by me Tongue
Work great on my Win7 x64 and better than dolphin appair !
Before I use this: http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/wiimouse.phtml
but your tool is better for that Wink

I waiting for the iconify version !

Can you add a Dolphin auto start option when wiimote is connected !?
(04-06-2010, 05:11 AM)dyter Wrote: [ -> ]Work great on my Win7 x64 and better than dolphin appair !
Before I use this: http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/wiimouse.phtml
but your tool is better for that Wink

I waiting for the iconify version !

Can you add a Dolphin auto start option when wiimote is connected !?

Good to see you found it useful.
Regarding the auto start, I don't want to add it because I use the wiimote for other stuff besides dolphin (mainly using it as a remote for WMC). So I don't want it to start dolphin every time I pair a wiimote with the pc.

Regarding the app you mentioned, I didn't know it. It seems to be way more complete than mine. I'll take a look at it.
Ok, please can you post your new version with silence mode ?
I make it on the start menu for an always test
First of all, i wouldn't like to have more apps open than really needed, and secondly as good as almost all ppl pair up their wiimotes directly when they start dolphin, so they will be most likely still infront of their computer for the pair up. And since your app wont help re-pairing disconnected wiimotes within dolphin it wont give any benefit integrating it into dolphin, cuz they will still have to restart dolphin to work around that issue.

PS If the wiimote pair up button wont work for you, try to give me some more input, since it was kinda one of my commits.
Saying it doesn't work, is like being told, hey my internet doesn't work - it's way too general.
Especially since the button works for me all the time^^ on all computers(3) I own not to mention my friend one's.
Most ppl just fail by using it the right way.
Nice, will try it & post back.

Edit- this program works good as heck, it's just a dos window but recognised the wiimote in like 2 seconds & paired it. Instantly recognises in dolphin.

Thank you.. Sometimes I pair up in dolph & it says device driver not successfully installed, this eliminates that
This seems to work pretty well. We just need something now so it can work in the background without the DOS prompt showing up.
I tested it with 3 wiimote and work fine always ! I Have a diNovoâ„¢ Media Desktop 2.0 (mouse+keyboard+mediapad) connected at the same time, and no problem appear ...
Very good tool Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4