Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: nvidia kernel mode driver not responding and has recovered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
letsgohuntin, I think I was able to get dolphin working. I'm not sure if its my settings or the fact that I turned off PhysX in the nVidia control panel. Its been now running for 25 minutes without a crash. Why don't you try that?

In the meantime I'll keep dolphin running in the background (on the demo loop) to see if it crashes/gives the kernel error or not.

edit: scratch that. I got a system Freeze after a few more minutes.
I have temporarily fixed the issue,your idea was good.
When PhysX is disabled,I am able to restore the video in the following way:
I play in window mode,not in full screen (render to main window enabled) and when the screen becomes black,I pause the game with the wii home button (mapped on my gamepad),I resize the window with [maximize/restore up] (between minimize and close,in the upper right corner),and move the mouse cursor all over the screen. The video starts working again,100% of the times. It's tricky but at least I can play,yay! Sorry if my explanation isn't very clear,my english is far from perfect Smile

small edit: I only experience the system freeze issue when "enable EFB copy" is set "to ram",but I had no problems so far with "to texture".
So theres a custom build out there (SVN 4783 32-bit w/watchdog patch, not sure what else is applied on there) which I don't have any problems with on my laptop. The only thing is that the shading is flat in that version. I wish I had access to the source code to see what exactly was different with that build. Whatever is different makes it work.

edit: here is the build that seems to be stable for me http://www.emucr.com/2010/01/dolphin-svn-r4783.html
Can you post your config? The build you linked triggers the issue on my pc,but maybe it's due to the way I configured it.
Alright I did some more digging. While I can even get issues in 4783 on my 360M I did have a more stable experience with it, but I found that I can even get more recent builds to run stable. I think the key is to turn off AA and run it at a low resolution (unfortunately) such as 800x600. Try turning off Aero (change your theme to windows basic), change your desktop to 800x600 and run the dolphin in 800x600. Safe Texture Cache seems to cause problems as well. I know theres a level later on (in World 4) where it may crash if you don't have it enabled but before then I think its better to leave it off. I also have EFB->CPU access off, Framelimit set to 60, EFB is to Texture and Fog is disabled.
Have you been keeping track of temperatures? Laptops don't have the best cooling in the world so its possible your graphics card doesn't appreciate that very much...
No, I've gone over the whole cooling/overheating thing. I've run PC Mark, OCCT (CPU, Linpack, GPU, Memtest), Prime 95 and combinations of those and they've gotten my GPU/CPU hotter than dolphin ever has (and at safe temps) and still had no errors. I'm confident the hardware in this thing is solid. Also no problems running modern games (crysis, just cause 2) at pretty damn high settings.
Looks like there's no way to fix this for now.
I've tweaked my laptop a bit and I can get decent performances with dolphin 2.0rc1 on that machine.

---EDIT---EDIT---EDIT---

Problem completely solved.
rev5030x64 for monster hunter (you can find it in mh3 post in the games section) ,using dolphin openGL instad of d3d9,never crashed and never produced the driver issue in hours.
note that this is the only rev with openGL actually working on my desktop.
couldn't be happier Smile

Minifig3D

I am also having this issue on my laptop. It has a nvidia GeForce 360M.
I can only play a game in dolphin for about 5 minutes before I get this error. If I am using openGL, I can just close dolphin and open it again, but if I am using direct3D, my laptop locks up and I have to hold the power button till it shuts off. :/
Pages: 1 2