Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Issue regarding OpenGL being faster than DX9
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys. I just recently re downloaded the emulator and am amazed with the progress. I do however have a couple of questions if that's OK Smile

Firstly I find that Open GL is giving a better image quality and also much better FPS than DX9. I have the games full screen at 1920x1280 with no AA as it slows down to a halt.

My system is:

AMD Penom 955BE @ 3.7
4 GB DDR3 at 1444
2 4870x2s in quadfire
And windows 7 64.

Is there something I am missing? I am sure DX9 should be running better but it just looks blurry compared to opengl and also runs a lot slower. I have force AA etc all turned off in CCC.

My other question is regarding emulating the wii remote.
As an example I have been using an xbox pad to play madworld. I can get all inputs working like the nunchuck stick etc but I cant get the right thumb stick to work as the wii remote motions. I'm sure this is just me missing something obvious but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks Smile
Weird, You tried changing the resolution in DX9 plugin, didnt you? Give us some comparison screenshots, so we can analyse them, and please before taking them go on both plugins configurations and in the advanced tab check "Overlay FPS"..
OK. I have set the resolution in both plugins but to me it still looks like native as the other games I have tried look very very sharp.
The only game that runs at 60fps is muramasa. However TvsC runs at about 25fps and looks pretty good.
Does the Wii only render 30fps for some games?

This is GL.
[Image: Dolphin2010-03-3123-50-14-18.jpg]

And DX9
[Image: Dolphin2010-03-3123-52-30-16.jpg]
tell us your settings or post screenshots of them
Hum, you are right, things looks better in GL, but that could be just because that plugin is better for that game... The games has different behaviours, Im saying that because the HUD is the exact same shape and proportion, so maybe it's the 3D rendering that is more buggy in DX plugin for that game. Anyways, post your settings, it could help... About the speed, the fact that you cannot reach fullspeed is probably a emulator limitation/bug, because your hardware is acctualy very good.
Another thing is that the HUD is going out of the screen in GL, are you using Widescreen hack or something like that in one of the plugins? The game is not being rendered in the same size too, are you using the same aspect ratio in both plugins? Post your specs, maybe we can help you!

About what you asked, each game has its qwn fullspeed. Some of them you reach fullspeed at 25 fps, some at 50, 30 and even 40 fps.
I find DX9 to be less stable, worse looking, and generally slower than OpenGL. I don't understand why, but I have been using OpenGL and have not switched to DX9. Whenever I do, I am usually met with an avalanche of random errors and I do not think it is worth the hassle.

But I know if I worked with the settings I could probably eek out some better performance, but after going open source, Dolphin has been improving in performance so well that I don't see the need. PSCSX2 could learn some things from it Tongue (I know it has its own Google Code... it just seems like they make much worse progress.)
Well, I had an entirely opposite experience than previous poster. Most games look horrible in OpenGL, if using dx9 plugin some games look phenomenal, much better than on the real wii especially at 1080p resolution.

Madworld is one of those games where the plugin doesn't really matter though
I will post some shots of my settings later today. Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to make a sensor bar and buy a Wii remote this emulator is so good!
DX9 Is know to be faster and less stable, and at first it also had the fame to have more bugs, but thats because it is newer than OGL plugin... Now that the two plugins have grown better, it seems to vary from user to user the experience between the too of them. OGL Plugin has become faster and DX9 has become more stable, now Im trying to figure out if this difference on the experience on each of them among people is related to something such as OS or Hardware...
NVidia cards are known to have optimised experience on DirectX aplications, and here it really seems that NVidia cards are better on DX and ATI cards are better on OGL....
(04-01-2010, 12:24 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I had an entirely opposite experience than previous poster. Most games look horrible in OpenGL, if using dx9 plugin some games look phenomenal, much better than on the real wii especially at 1080p resolution.

Madworld is one of those games where the plugin doesn't really matter though

Its the same here for me, most games (fragile dreams, tales of graces for ex) i tested, the dx9 plugin gives me a REALLY better image quality (good fps too), but seens a little more unstable than OGL. btw im using a gtx 285, win 7 x64, core2quad q9450.
Pages: 1 2 3