Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Opengl problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kingjay99

whenever i open a game when using the dolphin opengl graphics option, it keeps saying that i don't have it on my comp... but i do . is there a special place I'm supposed to put it? or what?
i use an HP Pavilion laptop that uses windows 7

kingjay99

Comeon everyone i really need help the game is so slow with direct3d!!
If it's slow with DirectX, it's going to be just as slow if not slower by using OpenGL. Also if your PC has an Intel integrated GPU, you don't have any choice but to use the DirectX plugin since Intel GPU's don't properly support OpenGL and lacks the required extensions for Dolphin. I think Dolphin requires OpenGL 2.1, Intel GPU's only support 2.0, lack the required extensions, and proper support for OpenGL.

So you are stuck using the DirectX plugin if you have an integrated Intel GPU. The DirectX plugin is the fastest video plugin, if the DirectX plugin also slow that just tells me your PC is far to inadequate and underpowered to run Dolphin efficiently at decent speeds.

kingjay99

well thats the problem. it's supposta be a GAMING laptop so i dont know why HP would lie saying that when games dont actually work
You got ripped off big time if you were sold a 'gaming' laptop with any other graphics card than an ATi mobility radeon or Nvidia M card (or external ati/nv).

Intel GPU's are crap and don't even support newest opengl extensions, some even lack pixel shader above 2.0, they are good for watching films but they are not for gaming.

If there is warranty or return policy left on your laptop, you should return it if you really desire to play games. Because no amount of driver updating can make the card worthwhile. If you want advice on what to get, post here & you'll definitely get help Cool
Ah, you fell the old trick hardware manufactures and OEM's like to use to make a product sound way better than it actually is. I remember I did the same with a Geforce MX 4000 I bought about 4 - 5 years ago, while the name and the product description sounded good on paper, it actually the worst piece of crap money could buy.

It's might as well be true that your laptop has a decent processor, however these companies that manufacture these cheap laptops and pre-built desktops, like to stick crap Intel integrated graphics into them that aren't really good for anything else other than running the desktop environment and watching videos. Forget gaming, Intel integrated GPU's are far too slow and lack necessary features that makes them worthless for any kind of gaming unless you want to play old Quake, Doom, and Unreal Tournament games or other games that are not heavy on graphics.

An ideal realistic gaming laptop consists of a decent processor, either a Intel Core2Duo/i7, AMD Phenom processor, plenty of memory (2 GB - 4 GB+) and either a decent mobile Nvidia chip or an ATI mobility Radeon chip.