Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 64-bit vs 32-bit - Erm.. Wasnt it supposed to be faster?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, here's my situation, I've been using Dolphin with XP 32-bit for years, I often do hardware upgrades on my PC, and I aways was satisfied with the speed I got, it was not fullspeed on all games that was supposed to get it, but ok. Now I upgraded to Windows 7 x64, and I must say, it's amasingly faster than XP, but I couldn't notice any speed boosts on dolphin... Maybe some of my hardware is limiting it, any clues? CPU clock? I dont think it's CPU, but how could it be CPU if that CPU is supposed to work faster in 64-bit mode?? And why only in dolphin? Okay, not only in dolphin, but on PC games I did have a little fps increase (lower than I expected, I must say), but what I'm saying is that I had a speed boost in aplications like the office and MSN Menssenger, even the desktop is faster (but that could be because of the windows version) and in Dolphin the only change I noticed is that the games are loading faster... The games menus are a little faster as well, seems that only the 3D renderization or processing is not faster, anyone knows why? Thanks in Advance!

PS: Yes, Im using Dolphin's x64 Version.
RAM to 4 GB and Processor to 2.7 GHz+ like AMD athlon 5000+ or higher is what i recommend...
I demand to know who gave your hopes up!
Win 7 boosts up to 2 extra fps, at most.

If you're interested, you can get a cheap dual core Amd CPU off new egg, like mine.
Not high end, but beyond decent.

If you really want to utilize x64 bits speed, you should upgrade your ram a bit more, but i can't say that'll help dolphin too much.
When I tried the 64 bit version, I gained MABYE 3-5 FPS, but the part where it really shines is games like brawl, on 32 bit after adding more than 2 players, the framerate would drop, but in the 64 bit version I could play with 4 people at about 90-95% speed. Not worth it for me though to warrant keeping x64, a lot of software I use simply doesen't work properly on it, or works slower. (Yes, slower)

People always seem to forget that this is a work in progress. It's like 50 bucks for a used gamecube/wii (probably cheaper). The only advantage I can see this has over using a real gamecube/wii is upscaling the image, and savestates. You should decide for yourself before upgrading if it's really worth spending all the money on it, or just buy a used gamecube and you can play it no problem.

Personally I use dolphin because I cant be bothered to switch video signals every time I want to play a game, plus I can do other things at the same time, take screenshots, etc. Just weigh out which factors are most important to you and decide what you want to do.

Edit: It's also nice to have the memory card saves on the computer already, for easy backup. Games also look 10x better (to me) with digital vibrance on (Nvidia cards).
(03-27-2010, 04:51 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]I demand to know who gave your hopes up!
Win 7 boosts up to 2 extra fps, at most.

If you're interested, you can get a cheap dual core Amd CPU off new egg, like mine.
Not high end, but beyond decent.

If you really want to utilize x64 bits speed, you should upgrade your ram a bit more, but i can't say that'll help dolphin too much.

Well, I never expected Windows 7 to give me speed boosts, but the core structure (32 to 64 bit)...

I'm happy with my actual speed, just wanted to know where was the speed boost, but what Bacon said makes sense, it's the capacity of the CPU for processing a certain number of bits simultaneosly, I should hava thought of that...

BTW, I do have a GC, but my target is to understand how Dolphin (and other Windows 3D aplications) works, since I'm studying it, and I want to be an emulator developer, maybe even for Dolphin, but Im afraid Im not enough familiar with the language yet...

Anyways, Thanx for the awsers, now everything makes sense, sometimes I just cant get the CPU behaviour... Maybe the CPUs are not dual core, but Bipolar! LOL!!
Ok, maybe I should see a doctor...
Ok, serious explanation in thread now.

If there is something you are going to notice to be faster in x64 version of Dolphin, is the VPS rate, which corresponds to the emulated CPU. (FPS: emulated GPU).
The FPS rate will increase if it is ONLY limited by the VPS and not the other way around.

Examples:
Games that stay FPS/VPS synched.
Crappy video card and/or heavy vertex load: x86 would give 30/30 - x64 30/30.
High-End video card plus normal vertex load, mid or low end CPU. x86 30/30 - x64 40/40
If all components are high end, you might probably be running fullspeed and/or changes would not be so obvious.

Games that do not stay FPS/VPS synched. (SSBB, few other Wii games)
Crappy video card and/or heavy vertex load: x86 would give 30/40 - x64 30/50.
High-End video card plus normal vertex load, mid or low end CPU. x86 45/30 - x64 45/40
>(result: same fps, faster game).

The only reason not to use x64 is having a monster CPU that can handle fullspeed even on 32-bit, I run my crappy incompatible software and drivers on a virtual machine.
(03-27-2010, 04:40 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]RAM to 4 GB and Processor to 2.7 GHz+ like AMD athlon 5000+ or higher is what i recommend...

Question: I have pretty much everything you listed except for 4 GB of RAM. Dolphin runs ok, but it could be a little faster. Would the extra 1 GB of RAM really help?
(03-28-2010, 06:12 AM)Terranigma Freak Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2010, 04:40 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]RAM to 4 GB and Processor to 2.7 GHz+ like AMD athlon 5000+ or higher is what i recommend...

Question: I have pretty much everything you listed except for 4 GB of RAM. Dolphin runs ok, but it could be a little faster. Would the extra 1 GB of RAM really help?

Not really, Since Dolphin do not eat much RAM, and, against popular belief, 4GB RAM will have no difference from 8GB, at least ON DOLPHIN...

Quote:Ok, serious explanation in thread now.

If there is something you are going to notice to be faster in x64 version of Dolphin, is the VPS rate, which corresponds to the emulated CPU. (FPS: emulated GPU).
The FPS rate will increase if it is ONLY limited by the VPS and not the other way around.

Examples:
Games that stay FPS/VPS synched.
Crappy video card and/or heavy vertex load: x86 would give 30/30 - x64 30/30.
High-End video card plus normal vertex load, mid or low end CPU. x86 30/30 - x64 40/40
If all components are high end, you might probably be running fullspeed and/or changes would not be so obvious.

Games that do not stay FPS/VPS synched. (SSBB, few other Wii games)
Crappy video card and/or heavy vertex load: x86 would give 30/40 - x64 30/50.
High-End video card plus normal vertex load, mid or low end CPU. x86 45/30 - x64 45/40
>(result: same fps, faster game).

The only reason not to use x64 is having a monster CPU that can handle fullspeed even on 32-bit, I run my crappy incompatible software and drivers on a virtual machine.

Thanx Caco it helped much, now I see why in some games I get low FPS, high VPS and it says it's in 100% despite the speed is crappy. That's what was happening in Star Fox Assault, but with your explanation I was able that I just needed to put framelimit on 120 (turning it off wont work, still crappy speed low fps, high vps blah blah blah...) and voila! The game is on fullspeed and fps and vps are synched!

THX very much!