Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys, which one of these is the best one for the ratio performance/money ? Between the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition vs Intel core i5 660/661 vs Intel core i5 750 ? And which video card between GTS 250 vs Radeon HD 4850 vs Radeon HD 5750 vs Radeon HD 5770 ? Thks in advance guys !
No offense but have you ever heard of google? These questions are answered on there.. by benchmarks.
Quote:No offense but have you ever heard of google? These questions are answered on there.. by benchmarks.

Be nice.

Anyways IT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION NOT FACT that AMD cpus currently have the best bang per buck in the desktop market but the high end intel cpus do have overall better "bang". Sorry I had to put that in caps, hopefully it will deter flamer fanboys. 965 is an excellent choice in my opinion. If you are building this rig JUST FOR DOLPHIN and you care abotu performance in dolphin more than general system performance I would reccomend you get either an intel core i3 5xx or core i5 6xx since dolphin is dual threaded and these cpus, although dual core, can easily OC to 4.8GHz on air with only a slight voltage bump.
I think that there is no "BEST" CPU, it might be the best in this second, but in the next one a new CPU comes out that might be better. So...
I sure check some benchmark before coming on here, it's just that the opinion of the people was going one way like the other.. so I thought I might ask here if you guys would know better. I don't know much about computer, but I don't I want to overclock it I lose the guarantee and the life spam of my comp is lowered, right ? Yes, I want to buy a CPU for Dolphin, but ever if AMD is quad core it's clock speed is higher too..
Quote:I think that there is no "BEST" CPU, it might be the best in this second, but in the next one a new CPU comes out that might be better. So...

...well yeah that's what we mean. What do you think we mean "the best cpu ever! no cpu will ever be better than this one" when we say that? When people are saying best cpu they mean the best cpu in either bang or bang per buck right now for what they want to use it for.

Pyer, keep in mind that dolphin is and probably always will be, dual threaded, so getting a triple core or quad core will not offer any benefit for dolphin. And keep in mind that modern intel cpus clock higher automatically when only a couple of cores are in use.

Also, not that it matters but your mention of cpu warranty made me laugh a little. The chance that your cpu will die on you or you will ever have any problems with it is like .00000000000000000000000000000000001%, even if you do run into a problem, warranty won't help since cpu warranty only covers manufacturer defects that were present when it arrived (DOA). Overclocking will not lower the lifespan of your cpu SO LONG AS YOU CAN KEEP IT COOL AND DON'T RAISE THE VOLTAGE. If you don't want to OC that's your choice but I suggest you try, OC has the same common misconception of being difficult and dangerous that building your own desktop had 15 years ago.
I've got to agree with NV, out of all the components I've ever had, never had a single processor die on me. It was always rather the hard drive, maybe a faulty ram stick, or poorly manufactured graphics card. Never the CPU. I don't even know anyone personally who's toasted their CPU without making crazy overclocks or voltage mods.

If you're looking for the best price-performance ratio, you probably should get the ATI 5770 card and an AMD phenom II x4 processor. The intel i5's are pretty good too but you'll be paying about double in price premium for them.
kk thks !! I'm really grateful for your help both of you !! With the AMD Phenom II x4 965BE and the ATI 5770, will dolphin run near 60 fps ? (I mean AMD stock 3,4GHz and not EVERY game, but some of them)
(03-24-2010, 09:35 PM)Pyer Wrote: [ -> ]kk thks !! I'm really grateful for your help both of you !! With the AMD Phenom II x4 965BE and the ATI 5770, will dolphin run near 60 fps ? (I mean AMD stock 3,4GHz and not EVERY game, but some of them)

well duh!!! 3.4ghz + 5770??? and u still ask? lol
Ahaha I just want to be sure ! Which motherboard should I take with this AMD Phenom II x4 965BE ?
Pages: 1 2 3