Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: EFB to RAM weirdness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 60911722.jpg]

Its probably known but I though I should bring it. As you can see if selecting EFB copy to RAM instead of texture, half screen get low-native resolution while other is fine. Games that need it then have this problem. Its not game specific, all should be same. Because its is important for some to have it set so(Metroid, ZeldaWW&TP etc..), gameplay experience lower. Am still glad though that it at least do what it is supposed to - fix some games. But if its somehow possible...

R5186 x64. BTW SSAA doesn't help to make picture as good as "to texture" at all.

Oehr

use efb to texture. "efb scaled copy" does not properly work for "efb to ram". bug to be fixed. everything wip

P.S. its only ~1/4 of the screen
This is not possible to fix. The copy from EFB to RAM simply has to be at the original resolution of the GC.
(03-23-2010, 04:31 AM)ector Wrote: [ -> ]This is not possible to fix. The copy from EFB to RAM simply has to be at the original resolution of the GC.

Could "to texture" be somehow corrected or "scaled" in such way it would became as safe, correct and stable as "to RAM"? Or its really just some dirty hack to virtual framebuffer that we can be happy it even work? Could for example things like ZeldaWW picturebox, ZeldaTP map or Metroid scans etc. all work with "to textures" one day if correctly implemented? Btw thanks for reply, especially from someone like you.
(03-23-2010, 04:55 AM)elite Wrote: [ -> ]Btw thanks for reply, especially from someone like you.

He's just another human being like the rest of us, only he knows how to code a gamecube emulator.
Quote:He's just another human being like the rest of us, only he knows how to code a gamecube emulator.

BS. He is either a god, an alien from the future, or was raised in a cage as a child with nothing but a computer and some books on various programming languages.

Quote:This is not possible to fix. The copy from EFB to RAM simply has to be at the original resolution of the GC.

I don't believe you. Nothing against you just saying...you have proved yourself wrong by doing "impossible" things multiple times now. I'm not saying you'll figure it out soon or even in this year, but you will eventually have a moment when it suddenly "clicks" and you see how it can be done.
I think what he means is that this sort of option only works exactly how it did on the Gamecube and so it cannot be changed here either. There is no choice, it just is the way it is.
Quote:I think what he means is that this sort of option only works exactly how it did on the Gamecube and so it cannot be changed here either. There is no choice, it just is the way it is.

I still have faith that he'll find a way. Plus he said the same thing about some other things, I remember when a scaled efb copy was "impossible".
I've been wondering if Copy EFB -> Texture will ever be as good as Copy EFB -> Ram or if it will ever be possible to speed up Copy EFB -> Ram so the performance is similar to Copy EFB -> Texture?
(03-23-2010, 08:23 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]I've been wondering if Copy EFB -> Texture will ever be as good as Copy EFB -> Ram or if it will ever be possible to speed up Copy EFB -> Ram so the performance is similar to Copy EFB -> Texture?

It actually never went slower due to EFB to RAM for me in any game I tried. Maybe on slower computers its more sensitive though.

(03-23-2010, 05:33 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-23-2010, 04:55 AM)elite Wrote: [ -> ]Btw thanks for reply, especially from someone like you.

He's just another human being like the rest of us, only he knows how to code a gamecube emulator.

He is co-founder of Dolphin. He is person who understand both platforms including assembler and hardware(most likely). People who can emulate foreign code or hack copy protections in executables are absolute tops in my book. There are no bigger skills in computer science than to understand things like that. I myself know C++ including STL(though its long time I did something so am not in top shape) but am nothing compare to his skills(or people who code Dolphin). That person like him even answered my n00b threat surprises me. Then again, its him in the first place who would know something about it.
Pages: 1 2