Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Switching out my cpu processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an intel i7 2.66ghz... which would be great overclocked! I even have the version that is really sought after (because it's apparently from a batch that's known to be good for overclocking).

So here's the issue... it came with my hp computer, so the bios is locked and there's' no way to OC it on my machine. Would it make a difference if I upgraded to a faster duo core? I don't use my pc for art or anything.. I'm just worried if a duo core cpu will fit on my mother board.

I would like to upgrade to this cpu - Intel core duo 3.33 ghz

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...sa=title#p

would that make sense? None of the other emulators I use can support 4 cores... will any emulators benefit from 4 cores in the future?

I'd appreciate any advice on whether it would be worth it to upgrade or a mistake? and and advice on where I could sell my old cpu chip? I heard some people buy processors that are from good batches.
You're willing to waste money on another CPU rather than buying a proper motherboard for your i7 CPU?

Sorry, no, you're not making sense to me at all.
(03-22-2010, 03:10 PM)xRyudo Wrote: [ -> ]You're willing to waste money on another CPU rather than buying a proper motherboard for your i7 CPU?

Sorry, no, you're not making sense to me at all.

Just seemed like the easiest to do, I'm still learning

so, it would make more sense to switch out the mo bo, and OC it? What would be a good mo bo for an i7 and overclocking?
You'd benefit more from a new motherboard for sure. It's cheaper than the CPU you're trying to buy, and you'll have a CPU for 'future' usage at the same time. Smile

I haven't really looked into current motherboards available. But the one I'm using is really good so far and received many positive reviews. (Asus P6T Deluxe V2 X58), although this one is a bit expensive.
something like this maybe?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MSI+-+ATX+De...8112693068
wiat.. but then I probably have to reinstall windows 7 right?

hmm
You've got to be kidding me. I'm not sure which specific cpu you have since all you said was it's an I7, you didn't give the model. But depending on which I7 you have it will either be using socket 1156 or 1366, all core 2 duo cpus use socket 775. Simply put you cannot put a core 2 duo cpu in your motherboard since they are designed for a different socket, although I don't know why you would anyways since you won't get any speed increase. If you swap out the mobo on the other hand (and hope to god it fits in your brand name case) and get a good air cooler you can OC your cpu WHICH IS BETTER THAN GETTING A C2D IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.

You MAY run into the following problems depending on your setup since it's a brand name computer
-Power supply may be insufficient to produce a significant OC, brand name manufacturers tend to use power supplies with just barely enough wattage to run the components they come with at stock speeds
-Some brand name manufacturers (I had this problem with a dell about 5 years ago) use very odd case designs, mobo designs, or even different mounting hole locations for the air cooler. Which may prevent you from using standard parts. My old dell had a mobo that was flip flopped, everything was on the opposite side of where it should be, the mounting holes for the mobo and air cooler were not standard and thus I could not use an aftermarket cooler or a new mobo. To give you an idea of how everything was flipp flopped the video card air cooler was facing up because it was installed in the opposite direction, the side panel was on the opposite side of where it should be, and the mobo was backwards.

You probably won't run into either of those problems, just saying that you might. Also remember that even though getting a new mobo will give you the option of OCing you still won't be able to do it without also buying a good air cooler. I'm guessing your cpu is an I7 920. If so your using socket 1366 and need an X58 board like the one you linked (but please don't buy one from MSI).