Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my CPU strong enough to run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

oehaut

I'm trying to run game on Dolphin (version downloaded here )

I'm getting a bunch of message. First, i'm getting this one

Can't create opengl renderer. You might be missing some required opengl extensions, check the logs for more info.

I looked around on the forum and found thread where this was discussed, but i'm wondering if it's my hardware that might not be good enough.

Here what i've got :

System Windows XP PRO SP2
AMD Sempron 3100+
1,81 Ghz, 2G RAM
GeForce 6200

So could this message be cause by my hardware? My CPU is quite old actually. (But I can run an emulator for pSX with no problem)

Very much thanks for the feedback.
For the first message: Update ur video drivers.
For ur question: I don't think it'll run smooth but it's always worth a try Smile Wink.
Too slow, single core CPU too. Forget about running games smooth with that.
Maybe if you over clock it till it becomes a dual core Wink
I know some companies pump out low end desktops with decent single cores that may work. But yeah, dual-core will run the best. You won't notice much a difference in emulation if you bumped up to a Core 2 Quad or Core i Series.
Its best ask a single-core user like my self it might run lil slower then me sense mine a faster version of the CPU

oehaut

Wow, thanks everyone for the fast answer.

I guess it might be time to consider getting a new machine...

One last question tho.

I tried to update my graphic driver, using what is offered on nvidia site for the GeForce 6 series.

I installed it, but now, my graphic display is very crappy. It's 800x600, and 4mb color, and I can't change these setting.

I must have done something wrong, but i'm not very good with CPU, hence why i'm here Big Grin

Anyone has an idea? I'd like to at least try to see how it goes. Otherwise i'll have to consider buying something new.

Many many thanks to everyone.
Overhaul the entire system, because there isn't just a single part that could be swapped out (as you'll need a new motherboard too).

Fortunately, you can create your new performance PC for *very* cheap. You wont need to spend thousands of dollars, and it will still be able to play all games on dolphin and most PC games at medium-high settings.

You can get a phenom quad core processor for about $100, a lower end ati radeon or geforce 9k series video card at about $50-$80, new mobo at $50, some DDR2 ram and voilá you are set. No need to spend thousands to be able to play newest PC games or dolphin on acceptable settings.

Phenom X4 quad core Processor: $91
ATI Radeon 5570 HD graphics card 1GB : $74
AM2+ motherboard: $64
2GB of DDR2 RAM (buy more if deemed necessary) - $49
Total for all components: $278

You likely wont need a new power supply as long as your current system can handle at least 350 watts. And it will last quite a while into the future.