Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will Dolphin run faster with a Core2 e8400 CPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello..
Fist I want to thank all people who worked on Dolphin eumlatur,they did a great jobSmile
I think about buying a new CPU(Core2 e8400),cuz some one said that this CPU let me play at perfect speedBig Grin.But I dont want to rist any thing.
So I want to know if gamse like SSBM will 100% work at full speed with a good CPU.
My ex-CPU xD Tongueentium 4 3.000
Radeon HD 3800 Series
2GB RAM.
Mainboard:Wolfdale1333-D667
Chip set: intel i945G
The e8400 is a very good choice, or maybe a CPU from the ix series ? (i3 maybe?)

I have the e8400 and I'm getting very good speeds in most games, SSBM, Fzero, Mario Kart, even Metroid Prime are all very playable for me on 1680x1050 resolution.

It uses a different socket than your CPU, so you need to by a new motherboard, DDR2 memory, etc ...
I though that the Pentium 4 HT at 3.0 Ghz was for socket 775
yeah, the e8400 is a real nice processor with good oc capabilities.
but it's time is over (775 is a dying socket), i think the perfect match at this time would be an i5 750 for price-performance ratio.
it should be easily oc-able to at least 3,8ghz, more than enough for dolphin.

btw: sorry for bad english (I'm german)

cmccmc

but then he would have to upgrade his whole pc
I didn't know it was socket775, then it's ok !

And also buy a good cooler and you can overclock the e8400 to at least 3,8ghz !
yeah you definitely need to replace the pentium 4 cpu
i have to add something:

yes, you could go and buy a e8400, it's socket 775, but don't think that you can get a good overclock, perhaps it won't even run at all at stock speeds.

the most important thing to know; What's the name of your MAINBOARD (because of chipset). use e.g. cpu-z

and then, if it's not compatible and you want to spent as few as possible, you could go for a phenom ii system.
cheaper than buying a i5+mobo+ram (which is by the way almost the same price as e8400+mobo+ram).
i have one myself, they're cheap and really fast, also good oc capabilities (Black Edition).
Above person raises a valid point.. Your mainboard (motherboard) info is also very important.

You can NOT put a core 2 duo processor on a board which previously had P4, even with bios update. It will fit into socket but will not boot. I have tried this multiple times on a low-end computer. It is absolutely impossible.

Remember, if you buy core 2 duo e8400 (which is a good chip for dolphin), you also need a motherboard which clearly says that it supports c2d processors. Any chipset that will boot pentium 4, is not compatible with newer processors like C2D.
(03-14-2010, 10:14 AM)oohladeeda Wrote: [ -> ]i have to add something:

yes, you could go and buy a e8400, it's socket 775, but don't think that you can get a good overclock, perhaps it won't even run at all at stock speeds.

the most important thing to know; What's the name of your MAINBOARD (because of chipset). use e.g. cpu-z

and then, if it's not compatible and you want to spent as few as possible, you could go for a phenom ii system.
cheaper than buying a i5+mobo+ram (which is by the way almost the same price as e8400+mobo+ram).
i have one myself, they're cheap and really fast, also good oc capabilities (Black Edition).

Here is my mainboard:Wolfdale1333-D667.Its not an old Mainboard.When my PC broken I bought this mainboard at 2008!
And Chip set is intel i945G
Pages: 1 2