Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Speed Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey

I was just wondering if anyone could make a short explanation of what some settings can do and if they can affect speed.

First up:
Hle the Ipl, - can this make or break any games?

Enable Progressive scan - I see some games you can enable this in the game and you can also enable it in the emulator. Would it be faster to disable it or is it completely irrelevant.

Enable CPU EFB - In some games this can slow things down.. Is it possible that it can also speed up some games say if htey need this function.

Efb scaled copy - What does this do, is it needed as it is allways on by default and will it go faster if i turn it on.

Efb copy to ram/texture - This one i allways set to texture as i dont have any games that needs it to ram, but will it go faster if i turn it off completely?

In DSP-HLE settings I turn everything off except Enable HLE audio. Is there anyhting I should leave on or would it slow things down if i turn it on.

I know this is a lot of questions and you might think come on man.... just test it. Well the thing is that i think that some games are affected by completely different factors and its just good to know the basic function in the settings.
The reason I want to know this is because i have a good collection og GC games and i would like to find the ultimate settings for each game and report it without starting alot of unnessesary threads.

Im not asking the programmers to awnser this as they are busy getting us a better Dolphin Wink ,but if anyone knows please share your knowlage.
(03-12-2010, 09:45 AM)Johnblunt Wrote: [ -> ]Hle the Ipl, - can this make or break any games?
(Disabling) It will, unless you have the Gamecube booter (ipl).

(03-12-2010, 09:45 AM)Johnblunt Wrote: [ -> ]Enable CPU EFB - In some games this can slow things down.. Is it possible that it can also speed up some games say if htey need this function.
You mean, EFB Access? It is basically used to make games able to read what's on screen (ex: taking pictures)

(03-12-2010, 09:45 AM)Johnblunt Wrote: [ -> ]Efb scaled copy - What does this do, is it needed as it is allways on by default and will it go faster if i turn it on.
EFB is usually copied in native res, unless checked (just go forth anb back on SSBB menues and compare)

(03-12-2010, 09:45 AM)Johnblunt Wrote: [ -> ]Efb copy to ram/texture - This one i allways set to texture as i dont have any games that needs it to ram, but will it go faster if i turn it off completely?
Well, using your video card's ram is faster than your main ram, unless you are on shitty onboard graphics

(03-12-2010, 09:45 AM)Johnblunt Wrote: [ -> ]In DSP-HLE settings I turn everything off except Enable HLE audio. Is there anyhting I should leave on or would it slow things down if i turn it on.
Trial and error, also, secondary framelimiter.
Since the original framelimiter is out of order it makes this one the primary then Wink

Ok thanks alot it cleares up alot of my questions and saves me alot of time messing around with irrelevant settings hehe.
Thanks alot for the quick reply!