Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Linux on PS3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

aa13x

How well will Dolphin run on a PS3 that's running Linux? Is it even possible? Just imagine the bragging rights, "Hey, I'm running Wii on my PS3, beat that!"

If all of that's possible, imagine a Linux version that's basically the exact UI and functionality of the Wii! Awesome, but very, very ambitious. I would donate heavily towards the cause though Big Grin.
256MB Ram are not any near to be useable.
PS3 has about 128MB Ram free (assumed) when Linux is loaded...
it would be more possible on xbox360.

PS3 and xbox360 have both no x86 or x86_64 processor.
so you would need to code a new core for those consoles only.
X360 has no Homebrew support.
PS3 has homebrew Support (over Linux) but without Hardware 3D acceleration.

Forget it.

aa13x

Thanks for the explanations, I completely forgot about PS3's hardware restrictions.

Veeeight

(04-19-2009, 10:10 PM)aa13x Wrote: [ -> ]How well will Dolphin run on a PS3 that's running Linux? Is it even possible? Just imagine the bragging rights, "Hey, I'm running Wii on my PS3, beat that!"
Yeah, and how well will Fallout 3 run on 386SX? Can U imagine reaction of people when U say "Hey, I'm running Fallout 3 on my 386SX, beat that!"
Let me guess first:
Yeah Cool, and I'm just running to the moon, I have to hurry up if I want to be for a dinner.
The bottom line then could be that it's possible, but not with the current dolphin project. Besides, without hardware acceleration and the memory limitations of the PS3, it would be impractical.
impractical xD
i think even with direct hardware access and full 256MB free ram it would be harly possible to emulate a wii on a ps3.

Veeeight

(04-21-2009, 07:35 AM)kernel64 Wrote: [ -> ]The bottom line then could be that it's possible, but not with the current dolphin project. Besides, without hardware acceleration and the memory limitations of the PS3, it would be impractical.
If U know how to emulate wii on 256MB system memory then everything for U is possible, beside RSX chip from PS3 is something like bit slower dual core Geforce 7800GTX with only 256MB GDDR3 video RAM, I'm using Geforce 7950X2 with 512MB VRAM now (it's not mine but I'm long way from home TongueAngel and that's only I got here) - it's dual core - and with Dolphin it gives average 15 fps in Super Mario Galaxy and PS3 ain't got even that. So even special vesion of dolphin for PPC architecture won't help U much.

Theonik

[/quote]
If U know how to emulate wii on 256MB system memory then everything for U is possible, beside RSX chip from PS3 is something like bit slower dual core Geforce 7800GTX with only 256MB GDDR3 video RAM, I'm using Geforce 7950X2 with 512MB VRAM now (it's not mine but I'm long way from home TongueAngel and that's only I got here) - it's dual core - and with Dolphin it gives average 15 fps in Super Mario Galaxy and PS3 ain't got even that. So even special vesion of dolphin for PPC architecture won't help U much.
[/quote]

i have a 7900gt 256mb and an e6600 2.4ghz and dolphin runs fine at 30+ fps on most gamecube games. I think the main problem would be RAM,(if you could access the RSX and all cores) however judging at how well software emulation works on ps2 games on ps3 it wouldn't be completely impossible, if the emulator was rebuilt from the ground up.(hell sound might even work if the dsp was emulated on one of the cores. Even then though there still is the limitation of linux taking too much memory. If only someone discovered how to do homebrew on the Xmb...
Even if it gave only 1 FPS it would still be a lol achievement, but are you saying it wouldn't work at all?
Pages: 1 2 3