Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should SVN 5167 REALLY be "RC 1"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't think so for various reasons. To me a true RC of software should be near 100% complete with only bug fixes remaining. What do you think?
It's only release candidate, man, of course it has a lot of bugs
Maybe because dolphin is not known to be stable yet, but this release is to test and see if dolphin still need some stability fixes.
IMO it's pretty good. Dolphin somewhat rarely crashes spontaneously anymore, when it does, it's a problem of a few individual games not being optimized, rather than a fault in the entire emulator structure.

Just like in all other emulators in history (Project64, UltraHLE, cxbx) and in the current moment (PCSX2), some games will just have to be manually configured or need hacks to work properly with Dolphin, rather than relying on existing features. For example, Red Steel loads in a way that is not even supported at all by Dolphin yet. Still, almost no other game has this issue. So it's not a problem of stability but of running that certain game.
An emulator can never be perfect, especially for a modern console.
Not even all N64 games can be emulated currently & the console is 15 years old with a 94mhz processor.

edit- I don't mean it's technologically impossible, but there aren't many coders that care about it anymore.
Yes