Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Pitfall The Lost Expedition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: pitfall-the-lost-expedition-56261.1664698.jpg]

About the Game-
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition is an action-adventure video game for the Game Boy Advance, GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox. It was released by Activision on February 18, 2004 in North America and February 20, 2004 in the PAL region. The PC version was released on October 15, 2004 only in North America. The game was also released on September 23, 2008 on the Nintendo Wii as Pitfall: The Big Adventure. Pitfall Harry, the fearless treasure hunting treasure hunter from the Pitfall series returns to help a beautiful archaeologist rescue her father and thwart the evil St. Claire from claiming the lost city of El Dorado. As Harry, players encounter various animal enemies scorpions, bats, piranhas, alligators and even penguins as well as human adversaries under the leadership of the sinister St. Claire. Numerous abilities are at the player's disposal as Harry recovers pages of the Heroic Handbook. With his various items, Harry is equipped for almost anything. Harry will also find lost explorers and be rewarded with golden idols for his trouble, which he can then use as currency with the Shaman.

Emulation Status and speed-
  • [color=#FF0000]THIS GAME REQUIRES TLB HACK TO BOOT, ENABLE IT IN GAME SETTINGS OR WILL HANG AT FIRST LOGO SCREEN[/color]
  • Dolphin revision used- Dolphin r5160 x64
  • NTSC version used
  • Appears to be 100% playable
  • Full speed on even average PC's (specs in sig)
  • Graphics appear to be completely glitch free (Direct3D9 plugin)
  • Sound functions perfectly it seems, voices and music are correct (HLE plugin used)

Glitches-
  • I've experienced no glitches thus far from what i have seen (thanks developers for your awesome support!)

Other notes and comments-
  • Runs at constant fullspeed for me at native resolution
  • Seems to have fairly low requirements
  • Functions with the widescreen hack very well (very rare occurrence of pop-in glitches, almost not noticeable)
  • One of the most perfect games i've tested, no glitches at all from what i can see

Game appears 100% playable. I have seen no glitches at all, it's fast, sound seems to work perfectly, and it's just like the original system. Seems to have fairly low requirements, especially in terms of GPU. I have not tested the game from beginning to end, but i've played several beginning levels and area with no glitching, freezing, or crashing.

On a personal not, this game is quite fun. It feels similar to Crash Bandicoot in terms of level design, though it feels less linear than Crash (you're on a set path, but paths feel more open and offer more choices in choosing paths to take). This game was made for pretty much every system available at the time, including PC. Good luck finding the PC version though, it came out later than the other versions and went under the radar (although it can be made to look better than the GC version and is a good port if you find it). I've heard the Wii version looks no better than GC, and has bad motion controls. GC is probably the best version of this game.

Screenshots (game outputted to 1280x720, my monitor's limit)-
[Image: settingst.th.png] [Image: gphe521.th.png] [Image: gphe522.th.png] [Image: gphe523.th.png]
I used a windowed resolution of 1280x720. Forced 16:9 widescreen hack. Anti-alias mode: 9x SSAA. Force bi/trilinear checked. Enable 16x anisotropy filtering checked. That's about it. The title screen and some movies appear low resolution due to being prerendered at a lower resolution or compressed a lot, nothing you can do about that, but ingame looks pretty nice at HD resolutions and filtering.
I tried to play but could not, I will test this configuration required!
Don't forget to check "TLB Hack" in the game's properties. There has to be a check next to that, or else the game will not boot past the first logo screen. Other than that, no specific options really make any difference. I tried it with the JiT and JiTIL recompilers, same results there.
Adding to the official game thread. Sorry that I missed it when you made it.
No problem, glad to have another perfectly working game! One step working to perfection. Getting better and better, many thanks Dolphin developers! Smile
Spotted a used copy of this game on sale a few days ago, and decided to pick it up to try on Dolphin. I can also confirm that this game works very well, and looks great on Dolphin--and better yet, without any need for special settings, tweaks, or hacks. At this point, I am well over half way through the game, and haven't noticed any significant glitches. I also have the PC version of this game, but came to prefer emulating it on Dolphin because it supports higher resolution. This is one of the best installments in the Pitfall franchise, and deserves more attention from fans. Many thanks to the Dolphin dev team for creating such a great emulator that works so well with so many games.

revision used - 3.0-368
1920x1080 - 8xSSAA 16xAF
no hacks or special settings
Glad to hear this is a good game for fans, I still have my original Pitfall Atari2600 cartridge. I hope to play this gc game sometime.