Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Windows 7 64 bits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello guys,

Ultil last week I had a 32 bits version of the Windows 7 installed. Interested in finding out how much better the 64 bits version was, especially for playing SSBB, I decided to format my PC and install a new SO. And so, as I was playing I noticed that there was NO CHANGE AT ALL on game play. The speed, the graphics, everything is just like before.

Now, here the problem starts... as I was playing, I also noticed problems that weren't there on the 32 bits version, such as the pictures below:
[Image: rsbe015.png]
[Image: rsbe017.png]

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? I've tried altering the configs, but nothing changed.

By the way, my PC's config:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits PTBR
MSI G965-M Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 (1.86GHz)
2GB RAM DDR2 800MHz
MSI NVidia GeForce 7600GS
500GB Seagate Hard Drive 32MB Cache 7200rpm
So it's a fresh install right?
Did you remember to update your DirectX, and your graphics drivers?#

Edit: You're playing brawl on that hardware? I'm impressed.
Whats ur FPS I wanna no Big Grin.
And use windows update + do what RupeeClock said.
Then I think it'll work Smile.
try updating your video card drivers as well.....
see if that helps.
I think that looks pretty cool! Why you don't want to play it that trippy semi-wireframe mode?

if the previously mentioned suggestions don't work, try updating your DirectX runtime enviornment. If that doesn't work, try switching your graphics plugin. (btw, which one are you using OpenGL or D3D?)

and on a side note, why'd you bother upgrading to x64 in the first place? it's not like you're going to get any real benefit from it with your current hardware...
It's probably your gfx card outdated or check game setting ,download Nvidia newest driver(the 196 driver cause my 9800gt to crumble ,now i've no choice but use 7300GT so be careful,you can also wait for 197)
(03-06-2010, 10:33 AM)RupeeClock Wrote: [ -> ]So it's a fresh install right?
Did you remember to update your DirectX, and your graphics drivers?#

Edit: You're playing brawl on that hardware? I'm impressed.
Hahaha... my computer only looks bad, but it is pretty impressive playing Brawl on it. I keep the progressive scan off and it makes the FPS a bit higher (about 5 ~ 9).

I thought that Windows 7 came with the DirectX installed.

(03-06-2010, 10:41 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]Whats ur FPS I wanna no Big Grin.
And use windows update + do what RupeeClock said.
Then I think it'll work Smile.
At the Battlefield stage and with only two players (mine and the CPU) I am able to get 44 ~ 55 fps (85 ~ 98%). At the Pokémon Stadiums (both Brawl and Melee) I was able to get 90 ~ 100% speed when I had the 32 bits installed. Now I get 88 ~ 95%, 47 ~ 53 fps.

(03-06-2010, 03:18 PM)thaCASHdude Wrote: [ -> ]try updating your video card drivers as well.....
see if that helps.
I don't like the drivers W7 uses, so I got the most recent available at the manufactorer's site.

(03-06-2010, 03:36 PM)Bananaman Wrote: [ -> ]I think that looks pretty cool! Why you don't want to play it that trippy semi-wireframe mode?

if the previously mentioned suggestions don't work, try updating your DirectX runtime enviornment. If that doesn't work, try switching your graphics plugin. (btw, which one are you using OpenGL or D3D?)

and on a side note, why'd you bother upgrading to x64 in the first place? it's not like you're going to get any real benefit from it with your current hardware...
I am using OpenGL.

I bothered updating because of what I read on the web. Many people say that you could benefit from the update, especially because the CPU is 64 bits. Overall, the speed did get a little boost, but not on gameplay. Windows' starting and shutting down faster, programs works better, encoding and decoding also got a boost.
If you have 3+ GB RAM and a fast CPU you would most likely earn a speed boost from upgrading to x64 but otherwise it may be pointless.
(03-06-2010, 10:36 PM)Matoking Wrote: [ -> ]If you have 3+ GB RAM and a fast CPU you would most likely earn a speed boost from upgrading to x64 but otherwise it may be pointless.
Like I said, I did get a boost on some applications, for example, Firefox opens faster, Internet Explorer 8 isn't freezing like it was before (like ever minute it would freeze). The PC is running most applications a bit better than before, and believe me, I do take that into account. Smile

I had been planning to format my PC for some time now, especially because it isn't mine only, other people at my home use it (so it gets ore vulnerable to virus, adwares, spywares). No matter how good the antivirus is, it never catches 100%. Besides that, I also was planning a ZERO FILL, and it helped a lot, since my Hard Drive is a lot quieter and a bit cooler than it was before.

I am thinking on buying a new PC or a notebook, but I can't decide between an Inspiron 1564 with Core i5 and a PC with Core i5, since their prices are about the same here in Brazil (equivalent to 1.400 dollars). The notebook has the advantage of mobility, while the PC has better performance and a dedicated graphics card. As for Dolphin, I wonder if it would work good on the GMA HD, or if it would use the i5's 2 cores, 4 threads. :/
Wow guys, using the DirectX 9 plugin on SSBB solved the problem... made the image better and also sped the game up O.o

Thanks a lot for the help.
Your speed boost in other applications is likely due to a fresh install of an OS. It is a known fact that Windows OS due to it's structure will slow down over time http://it.toolbox.com/locutus/why-windows-slows-down-over-time-30833, and a fresh install will make everything faster for a few weeks to a few months.

With the current hardware you use, there is no real gaming or performance gain in switching over to an x64 system. Utilizing under 4GB of RAM, it will not even make a difference in memory management (as 32-bit OS handles up to 3.5gb just as good as a 64-bit system). Also the processor speed and architecture is a major bottleneck for smoothly emulating many games on either version.

Plus, DX9 plugin results in far less artifacts and errors than OpenGL (however, is more demanding of the graphics card).

noslian99 Wrote:As for Dolphin, I wonder if it would work good on the GMA HD, or if it would use the i5's 2 cores, 4 threads. :/

Both, but the Intel GMA integrated card will be killed by dolphin. I seriously would not recommend using integrated cards for any sort of gaming or emulation, you will be disappointed. To get maximum experience, get both an i5 processor *and* a semi-good graphics card like GTX8000+. Also, while it is true notebooks will have greater mobility, performance is sacrificed. A laptop that can fully emulate all games on dolphin is very expensive. Consider a good tabletop machine that will not cost a fortune.

Remember that x64 will not magically make things faster. Consider this analogy. A car's engine pulls the vehicle forwards. The tires can & do improve performance, but the tires alone are nothing. For dolphin, the engine is your CPU, RAM and GPU. A 64-bit platform and dolphin are the tires. Neither can work without the other, but only using good tires while being stuck on a mediocre engine will not result in any performance upgrades.
Pages: 1 2