Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DVD Root / Homebrew / File not found issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Vek

Greetings. I'm trying to run a custom .elf on Dolphin. It loads fine, but seems unable to access any files on disk at all.

Every time the OS attempts to load a file, it is file not found. The DVD Root is set to the correct location, but file requests for files that are clearly there are not working.

What could I be missing?

I'm not trying to run ISOs or disk images, I have actual homebrew-type WII elfs to run with loose files for the textures and such.
Maybe it is a SD Hombrew thing?

Vek

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I have the .elf, I have the files its trying to load, but no matter what I set the DVDRoot to, its like it cannot find any files. (They always come back as 'file not found').

Maybe I'm missing something? All I have is the elf, and the files it needs. I don't have any roms or apploaders or anything like that (I'm not trying to play ROM Games).

I'm looking at the FILEMON output (windows xp) which traces all file accesses, and dolphin appears to be scanning the folders I set as the DVDRoot (getting a catalogue of the files, including the ones it needs) when it first loads the ELF, but once the elf is actually running, no attempts to actually open or read any file in there seem to occur.

Filemon is sort of like strace/lsof, it'd tell me if the app was making any attempts to open files. The elf does start running - it dumps a bunch of debug output, console output, etc, so it is successfully starting up. It just halts because when it tries to load textures, it can't open the files.
If it is a homebrew program made to boot of a SDCard, its gonna want to use WII_IPC_SDIO and not WII_IPC_DI Tongue

Vek

(02-27-2010, 04:01 PM)omegadox Wrote: [ -> ]If it is a homebrew program made to boot of a SDCard, its gonna want to use WII_IPC_SDIO and not WII_IPC_DI Tongue

Thanks for the info. I'll give it another try later, after messing with the settings. I doubt its a SDCard boot, it works fine on a real WII Dev Kit in disk emu mode (with the same DVDRoot even) but not dolphin.
Are you running Windows? Is the dvdroot path in Dolphin an absolute path using backslashes as the separator? The dvdroot path is not meant to have a trailing slash also.

Vek

I just use the "Browse" function to browse for the DVDRoot path. It automatically uses backslashes and automatically removes the trailing slash. I think something is different between the way paths are resolved in dolphin and on a "real" DVD. The same DVDRoot (its just a folder on my hard drive) with the same ELF works on a real WII Devkit. So I suspect a bug in dolphin Smile

This was mainly just a curiosity thing, ie, could save time by running over and over in dolphin instead of how long it takes to deal with the kit.
Why don't you post a simple test case source + binary, maybe a dev will take a look at it.