Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: In-game(s) cursor lag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When playing games using mouse as wiimote, even if game runs quite well, on-screen cursor is quite lagging behind mouse movement. You can see it in any games that paint some cursor on-screen, like House of Dead, Dead Space, even SMG.
Anyone have same experience?
I was wondering, its probably because Dolphin use SOFTWARE cursor? Wouldn't be possible to use HW accelerated cursor? If I remember at least windows API support such thing so I was wondering. There were even PC games that had lag in menus because this and others were fine, probably because HW acceleration.
Even on a real wii there's a few frames of lag before the cursor catches up with the wiimote. I can't say I notice it annoyingly, only if the game runs very slow.
(02-21-2010, 06:27 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Even on a real wii there's a few frames of lag before the cursor catches up with the wiimote. I can't say I notice it annoyingly, only if the game runs very slow.

But on PC with Dolphin it could be done without lag I believe, making whole emu even more worth than just for higher resolution. Imagine playing on-rail shooters without lag using mouse... ^_^
Emulated wiimote refresh rate per second is too low personally, so I don't like using it in games or testing, unless both battery packs of my real wiimote are used up.

I didn't look into the source code of wiimote dll yet, but from gameplay experience it seems that it's not linked to mouse other than for following the movements. It sends significantly less reports, and drops some packets if you move the mouse fast (for example to gather stars in SMG). Upping the report rate could definitely help.

For example, when using real wiimote, the refresh rate is nearly realtime, as on the real wii (there is maybe 15-20ms delay only). With mouse, lag can be even up to 0.3 sec, which is not that serious, unless playing a game which needs precision and quick movements (like Ninja Reflex). Then it becomes a flaw worth considering.
Ok am now pretty sure lag happen because lack of HW mouse acceleration under DirectX plugin. I played House of Dead and under OpenGL lag was MUCH smaller, just like Ocean said probably only to the point of simulating real wiimote/refresh(and game ran better under D3D).
Many PC D3D games in the past suffered from this and this was exactly reason, they implemented in-game mouse cursor in SW. So you would see in main menu of games that cursor lag big time, especially when you bump up settings(while game itself ran fine). I even remember games where it was a option to turn mouse HW acc. on, then I often lost fancy texture cursor but mouse move became as lag-free as in desktop.
Bottom line is that when using DirectX for render, mouse should also be HW accelerated.