Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why not sync. mouse with sensor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I tried couple of games and many needs more complex wiimote movement than just simple shake, some even require nunchuck movement.. I see developers already implemented recording options to simulate certain movements using keyboard shortcuts.

First I apologize if this was already discussed somewhere.

If I understand correctly, mouse movement is just mapped to wiimote "cursor". However, I believe it should be also synchronized in parallel into 2 axis sensor bars with 3-rd one using some "shift" key. For example if I move mouse up and down, not only would it move cursor but also make game think I moved "wiimote" up or down(or pitched):
now with real wiimote this could actually be 2 things, either simple move like pushing hand down/up or just "pitch" upper part of wiimote. This could be simply altered by say "ctrl" on keyboard.

So, for example:
- moving left/right/up/down mouse would by default MOVE "virtual wiimote"(x/y axis)
- moving same but with "ctrl" held would PITCH/YAW "wiimote" in all directions(hope yaw is correct english word I meant)
- moving left/right with "alt" held would ROLL "wiimote"
- moving up/down with "alt" would PUSH/PULL "wiimote"

- ALL above with "shift" held would apply to nunchuck

Of course, some more complex diagonal movements would probably not work, however many games could be fine just with this and there would not be need for separate keyboards buttons for pitch, swing, roll, even shake! And of course, push/pull which is 3-rd axis not implemented yet would be included too, as well as nunchuck movements. For the rest, wiimote recording and mapping to keyboard buttons would be used.

I would like to know your opinion, is there maybe something I missed? Why it wasn't done this way? Please think about this and if you think its good idea, let devs know about my post. I would like to hear from their response what they think.

UPDATE: push/pull of virtual wiimote could actually be done using mouse wheel, making it possible for some more complex movements that couldn't be done just by switching shift keys(if that axis would already be used).
Your point is understandable, and quite technically possible. What you are essentially suggesting, is binding keyboard key to work in conjunction with keyboard wiimote movement (mouse cursor) to emulate a real movement, instead of just a normal movement. When that key would not be pressed down, the cursor would just move, but it would not register as the wiimote going backwards, forwards, etc. just like normal.

Hope devs take it into consideration for wiimote plugin, seems like a good idea.

Another good one could be directly emulating accelerometer-type features, if the cursor is drawn very fast down or up, it would reflect as speed changes (as in some games like Rygar, the strength of attack depends on how hard you swing wiimote). I only use real wiimote but this was just a thought I had for the emulated one.
(02-21-2010, 09:36 AM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]Your point is understandable, and quite technically possible. What you are essentially suggesting, is binding keyboard key to work in conjunction with keyboard wiimote movement (mouse cursor) to emulate a real movement, instead of just a normal movement. When that key would not be pressed down, the cursor would just move, but it would not register as the wiimote going backwards, forwards, etc. just like normal.

Hope devs take it into consideration for wiimote plugin, seems like a good idea.

Another good one could be directly emulating accelerometer-type features, if the cursor is drawn very fast down or up, it would reflect as speed changes (as in some games like Rygar, the strength of attack depends on how hard you swing wiimote). I only use real wiimote but this was just a thought I had for the emulated one.

Basically yes, although either Pitch/Yaw or "move" could be already registered realtime by default with mouse movement, without pressing some keyboard key - because when you move cursor on screen with real wiimote, you also move or change pitch/yaw of real wiimote. Or it could be possible to toggle in options for safety.
Ok lets give more concrete examples if example above from my first post apply:
Dead Space require to shake left/right >> simply "shake" mouse left/right(in other games up/down as well no problem)
Metroid 3 wand to push and turn >> I could hold "alt" and move mouse up, then while still holding "alt" move left/right to "roll"
SMG want to pitch wiimote up >> "ctrl" + mouse up
House of Dead:overkill want to shake like by moving pitch left + right >> "ctrl" + mouse left/right
Dead Space want to "flip" wiimote >> "alt" + left or right
Shaking nunchuck? >> "shift" + mouse movement
etc etc... no 1001 shortcuts
ector, where are you dude ;( hope you saw this...
this actually sounds like a great idea if this was implemented it would make some keyboard and mouse users very happy.
I agree too...it looks like a good idea! actually, a great idea!
This would be GREAT!