Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: lowest settings for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

iluvtvc

Hi people..

I got this doubt, i'm trying to emulate correctly Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, i checked the thread for the settings of the game, but it runs amazingly slow.

My specs: Amthlon X2 Dual Core 1.90 GHz., 2.00 Ram, Nvidia Gforce 8200M.

So i was wondering, what are the Dolphin lowest settings? wha should i turn off or turn in?

Anyway, thanks people Smile.

PD: Btw, one more question, as time goes on and dolphin evolves, it will run smoth with low specs?.
It runs slow because, no offense, your CPU is slow. Currently Dolphin requires a fast CPU to run most games. The rest of the components really don't matter all that much. The CPU is currently the bottleneck of Dolphin. You'll be able to speed it up by turning things off, but not much. You can turn off sound for a decent increase though.

To answer your last question, yes, it will get better as time progresses, but it won't be for quite some time unless they make an extreme breakthrough with the DSP stuff, or some amazing optimization.

iluvtvc

(04-17-2009, 07:52 AM)Unknownforce Wrote: [ -> ]It runs slow because, no offense, your CPU is slow. Currently Dolphin requires a fast CPU to run most games. The rest of the components really don't matter all that much. The CPU is currently the bottleneck of Dolphin. You'll be able to speed it up by turning things off, but not much. You can turn off sound for a decent increase though.

To answer your last question, yes, it will get better as time progresses, but it won't be for quite some time unless they make an extreme breakthrough with the DSP stuff, or some amazing optimization.

Allright, thanks a lot mate Smile.

Just one more question, what CPU do you recommend me? and how much it costs?

Thanks a lot pal!
AMD Atlhon X2 is good, but you need a faster one... It runs good with my 4400+, 2.2 GHz on each core. What I need is a new graphics card, I will buy a 9500 GT. But as Unknown Force said, yours should do the work, you just need a new CPU.
I dont know how much it costs for you, depends on where do you live.

It also depends on the game you try to run, I don't know how this Tisunoko vs Capcom would run on my system, with my CPU, because yours are not so much slower than mine...
Anyway, I recommend a Atlhon X2 Dual Core, the best you can find (or buy) And I do not recommend quad cores, it's useless for dolphin at this time.

Hope it helps!

iluvtvc

thanks buddy, it definitely does.
If you do have a Athlon X2, just get a Athlon X2 6400+, they are fairly cheap and they will slide right into the motherboard you got. and you'll get a big boost in speed in everything.
Update motherboard bios and get Athlon X2 7750 BE, it's really a phenom dualcore so even at 2.7Ghz it will outperform any k8 based cpu (Athlon 64). Plus, it has its multiplier unlocked, so you shouldn't have a problem adjusting your clock frequiencies to higher or lower values.
I run an AMD dual core that clocks in at 3.1GHz, but I can't seem to find the exact model name at the place I found it, quite strange indeed.

I'll tell you that Dolphin doesn't currently use more than 2 cores (and in fact, neither do most applications and games) so if you're just upgrading a processor I'd go with the best dual core money can buy, as you'll save a lot versus the equivalent tri or quad core, and you'll get basically the same overall performance.

I'll also note that even with a dual core 3.1GHz (Which I'm learning was a good buy, surprisingly) Dolphin slows down immensely for some games. Call me silly, but it seems mostly tied in with the graphics plugins, even with a more than capable card Dolphin still slows down in areas where lots of polygons are being rendered.

This will all improve of course once Dolphin is more stable, but the dev team is far more concerned with making more games work than with making already working games faster.
Mine is C2D E7200 2.53Ghz by default and it runs games just like anyone else here. Dual Core is good enough, even yours, iluvtvc, its' good to run GC games, but not enough for Wii games. You can get more speed by overclocking your Athlon X2 to 2.2Ghz maybe. There are a lot of overclocking guides in the net.