Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crash 3 seconds after running
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

tgp1994

Hi there everyone, I must be doing something wrong. So I downloaded the latest release of Dolphin, ran the 7 zip extractor, then tried Running the Dolphin executable, and about three seconds after I do that, it crashes.
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-4.html

See this thread and update DX and VC++.

tgp1994

Thanks for your help so far, but that suggestion did not work. No update needed for VC++, but there was one for DirectX. I got that, rebooted, Dolphin still crashed within seconds of loading. I do have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500, since it looks like it may be a problem card, but crashing within three seconds of being run sounds a little more problematic than what it should be.
Sorry but Dolphin does not support NVIDIA Geforce FX series.
get an agp radeon like hd 2600, or even hd3450 - 80 series its cheap and will work 1000% better than this rly old card of urs, doesnt matter where u live , these cards are cheap everywhere, unless u live on rly poor place

tgp1994

I'm not particularly interested in upgrading right now, I already have a much better computer, but one that I'd rather not use with Dolphin at the moment. I remember being able to use dolphin on this computer awhile ago, what update broke it with computers like these? What can be so difficult about running Gamecube games on machines much more powerful than the gamecube itself?
The directx plugin for graphics is broken right now so that may be why is wont run, you can always download an older version and then transfer that directx plug-in to the newer version of dolphin, im sure there's another thread with the plugin on it.

Also the reason you need a powerful computer compared to the gamecube is the fact that the emulator emulates the hardware of a gamecube, enabling the user to play the games on the computer with emulated hardware.

*EDIT* i think the directx plugin was working around 2100
It does not work on the FX series because Dolphin requires a minimum of Pixel/Vertex shading 2.0. While the Geforce FX does have some form of SM 2.0 support, Nvidia did a terrible job with supporting it and it doesn't work properly with many games and applications that require a proper SM 2.0 compliant graphics card, Dolphin is one of these applications that will not work with this card.

In the past with older versions of Dolphin it was possible to use different shader model versions such as 1.1 and 1.4, now it is no longer possible to do this becuase Microsoft stopped supporting anything below SM 2.0 in newer releases of their DirectX SDK..

It's the same reason why Pcsx2 and Gsdx can no longer use anything less than SM 2.0, and also doesn't work properly with Geforce FX graphics cards..

Sorry but you won't have any choice but to upgrade, or use someone else's computer that supports the minimum requirements in order to run Dolphin and play any games. You can try to use the older releases of Dolphin which was the last official release but be warned that speed is extremely slow, doesn't include Wii support, and many of the fixes introduced in the newer svn builds of Dolphin..