Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Running at 1080 on Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all!

I've just been getting started with running Dolphin on my 64bit Linux PC. I got a 52" LCD this xmas and am kind of interested in getting a really nice Wii setup going on.

I've picked up a bluetooth dongle and it works flawlessly with my Wiimote.

While poking around the graphics settings, I've noticed that there are some different options relating to widescreen and resolution modes. After searching the forums, I couldn't quite figure out how they play together.

There's the widescreen hack, 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios, as well as the ability to choose the resolution of the emulation.

As I'm wanting to run at 1080p, I've set the resolution to 1920x1080, and then also enabled the widescreen hack. I have done this somewhat out of ignorance and I'm wondering what the differences and demands are of the various combinations...

Which of these settings cause scaling? Which of them are actually required and what is meant by a widescreen hack?

Thanks for the help and I really look forward to talking more with people about this rather well conceived emulator! The creators have really thought this one through!
1920x1080 is a widescreen resolution. (16:9 is the proportion between horizontal and vertical pixels)
In the wii tab in the main configuration, you can set whether wii games give output in 16:9 or 4:3. Choose 16:9. This must also set in graphic configuration,though I'm not completely sure how they will conflict with each other if you set them different. Anyway, if the game supports 16:9, you will get your widescreen resolution. But if it doesn't, the image will get streched. So the widescreen hack was made to make Dolphin render those extra pixels needed for widescreen. But it may cause some polygons to not be rendered at the sides of the screen, because the game doesn't know that you can see them. So depeding on the game, you may prefer to just let it strech. (In which case, just disable the widescreen hack)

(Maybe, if a wii game doesn't support widescreen and you set aspect ratio to 16:9 in wii options, the game will deliver a stretched image in 16:9 and the widescreen hack doesn't work, but I haven't seen this happening, I would assume the widescreen hack takes care of it anyway, as Dolphin would know if the game is really in 4:3)

owaispoul

(01-21-2010, 01:35 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]1920x1080 is a widescreen resolution. (16:9 is the proportion between horizontal and vertical pixels)
In the wii tab in the main configuration, you can set whether wii games give output in 16:9 or 4:3. Choose 16:9. This must also set in graphic configuration,though I'm not completely sure how they will conflict with each other if you set them different. Anyway, if the game supports 16:9, you will get your widescreen resolution. But if it doesn't, the image will get streched. So the widescreen hack was made to make Dolphin render those extra pixels needed for widescreen. But it may cause some polygons to not be rendered at the sides of the screen, because the game doesn't know that you can see them. So depeding on the game, you may prefer to just let it strech. (In which case, just disable the widescreen hack)

(Maybe, if a wii game doesn't support widescreen and you set aspect ratio to 16:9 in wii options, the game will deliver a stretched image in 16:9 and the widescreen hack doesn't work, but I haven't seen this happening, I would assume the widescreen hack takes care of it anyway, as Dolphin would know if the game is really in 4:3)
I think that should be the quick solution for the problem with the wide screen gaming. There were a couple of occurrence with me too like this and I think that this solution could be of some help. Thanks for your effort explaining the working behind this.