Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can Severe Slowdowns in ZTP and Other Games be Fixed - Question to Developers..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been reviewing the Dolphin source code to gain some knowledge of the source code, I constantly check source code changes for each commit in hopes of contributing to the project someday. However I don't have the knowledge yet to fix a lot of the issues which plague Dolphin.

One of the issues I am referring to, is the issue that causes a severe framerate drop in Hyrule Field and other places in ZTP, it also affects other games that have more open environments and quite a bit of geometry. At first I thought the issue was similar to the issue that caused the Deku Tree room slowdown in Zelda: Windwaker and slowdown issues in Resident Evil Remake, it seems that wasn't the problem.

According to Omegadox the issue is related to the amount of vertex's/vertice's in the scene that Dolphin has to process, he mentioned one way of fixing this issue is to cache the vertices/vertex's, I'm not sure how this would be achieved.

Now my question: Is it possible that this issue could ever be fixed, how could this issue be fixed so games with open environment and abundant geometry don't cause drastic slowdowns? Other than what Omegadox mentioned, is it known what the actual cause of these slowdown issues are?

Will my Core2duo E8500, Geforce 9800 GT, 4GB DDR2 Ram ever be enough to play Zelda TP and other games without massive slowdown?

I am also asking this question because I accidentally bricked my Wii yesterday, so I am turning to Dolphin as a suitable replacement since I don't have the necessary funds to replace my Wii or get it fixed. I've already dumped my games, DSP files, system menu, masterkey, and nand key from my Wii before I bricked it.
Yeah, there's still a lot of speed potential left, the biggest one is probably vertex caching, like you mention. It just needs to be coded ...
Ah I see, so the vertex's is the problem with these games, I just wanted confirmation of what Omegadox mentioned. I have no choice but to use Dolphin now since bricking mah Wii, which is why I was wondering if this was an issue that could be fixed. Sad

Anyways thanks to ayuanx's dual core synchronization fix, it gave a small boost in speed for me. Also framerates are more stable now than before and there is no jittering/stuttering in some games when idle skipping is enabled now, Resident Evil 4 used to jitter when idle skipping was enabled.

Thanks for your response by the way. Smile
"speed potential"... I like the ring of thatBig Grin
Even if vertex caching was implemented, would Copy EFB to Ram and the LLE plugin still cause the same heavy slowdowns?

Copy EFB to Ram is necessary for some games, and unless the same accuracy can be emulated with Copy EFB to texture, then there may be no other way than to speed this option up if possible.
How exactly did you brick your wii. I assume you've been dumping for quite a while, and you don't look like a novice at all
System menu 4.2? I always have to launch my NSMBWii through Gecko OS to evade it...

It's the only thing that should be able to kill your Wii if you have bootmii and a NAND backup, (which every modder should have)
I USB load all of my games, so I don't get prompted to install anything.
USB Loader is also how I dump my games for Dolphin.
I wanted to start over with my Wii so I used Comex's nand formatter to attempt to format my nand and reinstall the system menu. Comex's tool locked up when installing the first two wads and it bricked my Wii, so I have to use Dolphin until I can find a way to unbrick it, send it in for repairs (Oh no, they'll know I softmodded my Wii), or buy a new Wii.

http://forums.ngemu.com/game-console-dis...wii-_.html

I wanted to start over so I could properly soft mod it for system menu 4.2 and use a USB loader to load my backups instead of having to insert a disc each time I wanted to play.

My Wii is fully bricked and there seems to be nothing I can do right now, I already read various unbrick tutorials and none of them will work for my situation.
I have USB loader too, but it crashes when installing games on it. So I have to first dump them wirelessly to PC, then transfer them them to the USB drive... Anyway, I'm using the original disc for a while, my rationality would be confused by putting it away without any usageWink

Sorry for your Wii Extreme2dax, i guess it was new and you couldn't install bootmii as boot2? If it has warranty, you could send it in and it's unlikely (or even impossible) for Nintendo to detect that it was modded. (it can only be detected if it's possible to repair I think)
Pages: 1 2