Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nvidia RTX Remix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
did anyone get this working or have any experience with it working on Dolphin?

Or is it even possible technically?
Thanks.
Hi @djneo!

I'm not aware of anyone getting this working. The short answer is you'd likely need to rewrite Dolphin to do so (if that would even work). In general, emulators don't work with RTX-Remix from what I've heard. The only exception is some titles work in CXBX-Reloaded (XBox emulator which is fairly close to PC I believe).

RTX Remix does not work with newer shader models and mostly runs against fixed function pipelines. There is some logic to handle shaders but it is very limited. So this does not work with Dolphin which uses the latest APIs and is heavy on shaders. Even if the fixed function nature wasn't a problem for Dolphin, I'm skeptical it would actually work given some of the oddities employed by the emulation. But no one has attempted it so we can't say!

RTX Remix is very nice tech, if you target an older PC game (or if the PC game has a fallback method to a fixed function pipeline) it is quite amazing what can be done. There are not many path traced renderers available, so seeing the latest tech being leveraged on older games is quite a treat.

Dolphin will never be able to compete with RTX Remix's team of engineers at Nvidia that work full-time around the clock. However, the approach taken by Dolphin's graphics mods is very similar to Nvidia's approach (and it will get even closer with the release of graphics mods 2.0) and Dolphin does have a couple of features that RTX Remix provides. We technically have support for PBR materials today (with a custom shader, currently not built in) and I have static mesh replacement in my fork (hopefully some day arriving in Dolphin). Neither are easy to use atm, so an editor is underway to simplify the creation process. Overall, progress is slow, there is much to design and implement.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear! What I can say is that if you are looking at GC/Wii game that also saw a PC release at the same time, it's possible RTX Remix will work for you. While I don't participate, I know there is a rather vibrant community, so the best way to get help with a game is to reach out!
Thanks for the detailed reply!
I was actually hoping that you could hop in, I just can't wait for your Graphics Mods 2.0 and what that will offer for modders like me Smile

Thanks again.
Thank you @djneo!  I was just looking at one of your mods the other day, great work.

I'll definitely release something, just hope it will be worth the wait!  Big Grin
It sure will!

I've got one of the screens you posted some time ago (showcasing the 2.0) as a Windows background Lol
This also caught my eye "I have static mesh replacement in my fork", what that means, that we could improve/change models?
That would be unreal.
(03-24-2024, 09:16 PM)djneo Wrote: [ -> ]This also caught my eye "I have static mesh replacement in my fork", what that means, that we could improve/change models?
That would be unreal.

Yes. Mesh replacement is possible. Though, it requires a custom material.

Also, keep in mind it's only for static mesh replacement. That means nothing animated (GPU or CPU skinned) is replaceable, you'd need a game mod for that. I have ideas for animated meshes but it's a difficult problem and I may never get to it.
(03-26-2024, 05:13 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Mesh replacement is possible. Though, it requires a custom material.

Also, keep in mind it's only for static mesh replacement. That means nothing animated (GPU or CPU skinned) is replaceable, you'd need a game mod for that. I have ideas for animated meshes but it's a difficult problem and I may never get to it.

exciting!

If I understand it correctly, it might be more than enough to fix some of the most glaring issues like this ugly huge hockey stick hah

[img][Image: q165rGX.jpeg][/img]