Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Billy Hatcher and the Giant egg Shadows problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've been playing gamecube and wii games on Dolphin for a long time.
Well, the thing is, I found a problem on "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. The problem is, the game works just find and all, but The shadows aren't rendered correcty.
I played that game last year, and didn't ran into that problem. But it happend just recently when I wanted to replay the game again.
[Image: GEZE8P_2024-03-05_22-28-45.png]
As you can see, the playr's shadow is rendered, but not the enemies or anything else. It didn't bother me at first, but later, in the final level, I figured they're really important in a section of the level, and they're not rendered correctly to the point I can barely see the shadow "ghost" crows.
I tried every renderer: Direct3D, OpenGL, Vulkan, you name it, but it doesn't solve the problem.
Is there a way to fix this? Or is it an emulator problem?
Here are my specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Double GPU: Intel UHD Graphics & Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650
I'm using Nvidia GPU obviously, 'cause the emulator lags with Intel GPU.
What version of Dolphin are you using? Also please post your GFX settings.
(03-06-2024, 10:17 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]What version of Dolphin are you using? Also please post your GFX settings.

I'm using the lastest version of Dolphin 5.0 dev. Also, I'm not sure about the specifications of GFX settings you mensioned, but I'm using Vulkan right now.
I already mensioned that I used D3D11 and 12 and opengl, but nothing changed.
I don't know if this helps. What do I need to precisely post about GFX settings?
Take screenshots of all the tabs and post them here.
Here ya go:
[Image: Screenshot%2B%2528263%2529.png]
[Image: Screenshot%2B%2528264%2529.png]
[Image: Screenshot%2B%2528265%2529.png]
[Image: Screenshot%2B%2528266%2529.png]
I hope this helps
The three things I see that stick out are:
1. Change Internal Resolution from Auto to an actual multiple like 2x or 3x and see if that helps
2. Are you running any Graphics Mods or custom textures for this game? If so, try turning off the Enable Custom Textures and Enable Graphics Mods to see if that helps
3. Are you running the most up to date Intel iGPU drivers and Nvidia GPU drivers?
I already did all this, but nothing changes.
Also, I always keep my GPU drivers up to date, so yeah, they're up to date.
I think it's something else, is it the emulator version? Note that it's also up to date
It's an emulator problem; same issue with Metal on a Mac. Software rendering is OK...looks like something broke around 2-3 months ago. Version 5.0-20812 works correctly, maybe some newer versions do also, but I didn't narrow it down further than that.
(03-09-2024, 08:34 PM)Trell Wrote: [ -> ]It's an emulator problem; same issue with Metal on a Mac. Software rendering is OK...looks like something broke around 2-3 months ago. Version 5.0-20812 works correctly, maybe some newer versions do also, but I didn't narrow it down further than that.

If you are able to find the exact version that broke it, it would make it easier for the Dolphin team to fix it.
Yep, ran out of time to do any more testing. Wink Now that I'm back, I found that 5.0-20849 is what broke it, specifically forcing EFB-to-VRAM copies to be 24-bit color. So the problem can be worked around by turning off "force 24-bit color" in the graphics settings. Or edit the per-game settings to include:

[Video_Enhancements]
ForceTrueColor = False

Unless there's some way to turn off forced 24-bit color only in EFB copies.