Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I'd like to know the Native Aspect Ratio/Resolution of these games:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings, everybody! I've been an internet user for 8 years, but only today have I fully decided to join this site, since it appears to be the only place where I can get helpful-tips and clear-answers about how Dolphin's emulation works on several different aspects/features/elements, since Googling them doesn't appear to help me out on getting a clear answer, and ironically neither does ChatGPT.

With that introduction out of the way, I'd like to point out some of the very popular GameCube/Wii games that I already have playable on Dolphin and what happens when I set it to Force 16:9. So far, I only know of Super Smash Bros Melee's Native Aspect Ratio (which is 73:60 with a resolution of 584x480), since I was lucky enough to see some threads (on different sites) confirm that clearly, and when I set Melee to Force 16:9 on my 4K TV, their display/aspect-ratio was stretched to 3501x2160 pixels, which is equal to 389:240 as of the 2160p physical widescreen, and approximated to 175:108 on a 1080p physical widescreen. Setting Melee aside, I don't know the aspect-ratios and/nor native-displays for other popular GameCube/Wii games that I already own on Dolphin, but I have experimented what Aspect Ratios and Resolution Displays they have when setting them to Force 16:9 and going Fullscreen on that TV I use as a 4K Monitor (which unfortunately doesn't improve my 6x Quality's gameplay performance, mind you), with examples listed down below:

Super Mario Sunshine: 3840x2145 display, 256:143 aspect-ratio (in physical 1080p screens, the odd-numbered 2145p is reduced to 1073p).
Mario Kart Double Dash: 3840x2124 display, 320:177 aspect-ratio (applies equally for 1080p screens).
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 3753x2160 display & 139:80 aspect-ratio when setting Brawl to Widescreen mode (in 1080p screens, it is reduced to 1876x1080 pixels, which rather converts it to a 469:270 aspect-ratio instead).

I know that I haven't checked Brawl's 4:3 Setting yet, but that's because it would definitely mark a significant literal stretch, when I'm currently focusing on Forcing the Emulation to 16:9, yet it becomes a technically different aspect-ratio in terms of Fullscreen Display.

In games where Widescreen can be toggled from Fullscreen by default, such as Super Monkey Ball 2 and Super Smash Bros Brawl, the black-bars are effectively adjusted when I play those games on Dolphin Fullscreen to force either 4:3 or 16:9.
However, in games where extending the screen's view & display to fill the widescreen is required by code instead, the black-bars remain unaffected because it's really just the AR/Gecko Codes squishing the game's display screen inwards to provide the illusion of a widescreen-hack instead, and then stretching that screen to window through emulation or special-TVs makes it look perfectly widescreen for the most part.

I've also read in a different thread that regardless of what screen-mode is used for the GameCube/Wii emulations, the pixels will always be stretched without being able to avoid them completely (I also read that in a recent Dolphin Update Article), with Fullscreen Displays having a pixel-mapping of 201:160, and Widescreen Display's pixel-mapping being 603:640 instead. It makes me wonder that when I use the main Gecko Codes for Widescreen in games like Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Mario Sunshine (based on Dolphin Wiki's most recommended Code), if the games are less-stretched when I either Force 16:9 or Stretch to Window, because as Super Smash Bros Melee implied, not every GameCube/Wii game has a Native Display of 640x480 pixels, some GameCube games can be either less wide than 4:3 (natively 640 pixels wide), while others may have a chance of being less narrow than 480 pixels tall, or in certain cases, even wider than 640+ Native Pixels.

That's what begs my question that I haven't been able to find the answer to: Besides Melee (which I already know it's 73:60 or 584x480), what are the actual Native Resolutions for many of the best-selling games on both GameCube and Wii? Because as far as I've read, the reason that Forcing 16:9 on Dolphin's Fullscreen doesn't fill the entire literal 16:9 physical screen, is because of aforementioned reasons that lead to my question at hand! So if anybody with plenty of scientific research upon Dolphin have enough credible sources for a list of what are the actual Native Resolutions for several individual Dolphin games, I'd really appreciate the help, thanks in advance.
So for playing games, you don't need to worry about any of this as Dolphin handles all the aspect ratio correction for you. What you see is correct to the game's intended aspect ratio. If you want to know the native resolutions of games for academic reasons, by all means, but just leave the Aspect Ratio setting on Auto and you'll get the correct aspect ratio every time.

Quote:Because as far as I've read, the reason that Forcing 16:9 on Dolphin's Fullscreen doesn't fill the entire literal 16:9 physical screen

As for that, Dolphin by default displays every pixel that the game renders. So for a 16:9 game on a 16:9 screen, that will be around 16:9. The black bars you see are the result of this, we show every pixel, and since it is not exactly 16:9, there will be black bars. However, if you want the image to fill your screen, we have the Crop option in Graphics > Advanced. Turn that on, and we'll zoom in only as much as is required to crop out those black bars. And GameCube and Wii games are designed for overscan anyway, this is accurate behavior.