Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Auto-save and load save-states similar to the virtual console or DuckStation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you know, the virtual console itself is probably the first well-known (if not the first ever?) example of automatic saving and loading of a save-state.

But nowadays, other homebrew emulators such as DuckStation and Snes9x on 3DS have such a function as well.

I'm wondering if Dolphin has such a function and, if not, I don't suppose it's something "in progress"? Obviously such a function would be optional (and possibly even configurable on a per-game basis as to whether you actually want it or not).

My main interest is that I'm a weirdo that likes playing various N64 arcade racers with a sideways Wii remote with motion steering via Wii64/Not64, but a few of my go-to games (specifically California Speed and all three "Rush" games) have an unfortunate bug where custom in-game controls do not apply unless you manually view the in-game controls options, which is particularly unfortunate because these games work best if you change the steering mode to its non-default "wheel" setting rather than using its default "analog stick" setting (though IIRC this "wheel" setting is absent in specifically Rush 2049 but I think I also recall that game working better than the others did without it)—heck this custom controls bug even exists in the Dreamcast version of Rush 2049.
We have chosen to not implement this feature because Dolphin's savestates aren't reliable enough for us to be comfortable with the way users might come to rely on savestates if this feature exists.