Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphical Artifacts in Certain Games Using 32-Bit Dolphin 4.0 on Raspberry Pi 4B
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, first off, I understand that the Dolphin team does not actively support old builds which includes anything 32 bit.  That being said, I was hoping that somebody might be able to steer me in the general direction of a solution or even just give me some ideas that I can pursue on my own.  I honestly do not know who else I can ask for help at this point.  I can update this thread if I can figure out a solution.

I am a Raspberry Pi 4B (2 GB model) user who is running an official Retropie 32-bit image (Buster OS).  Apart from the fact that Retropie does not officially support 64-bit builds at this time, I have a specific need for running a 32-bit OS on my Pi and I am not able to move to a 64-bit build.  As a result, in order to play gamecube games on my Pi build, I have no choice but to go back to 2014 (or earlier) when Dolphin still supported 32-bit ARM JIT.

I have been trying to get Dolphin 4.0x to run on my Pi so that I can play certain games (specifically turn-based RPG's and other slow-paced games) that can be enjoyably playable at 50% speed.  I have actually had a fair bit of success in getting both Dolphin 4.0 and 4.0.2 to run on my Pi and games like Smash Melee and Mario Sunshine actually run quite well where the only real issue is that the gameplay runs at ~50-60% normal speed due to a reduced framerate that is the result of the obvious speed limitations of the Pi 4.  Unfortunately, other games, specifically those that I really want to play on the Pi, are having serious graphical artifacts/glitches that make the games unplayable for reasons other than game speed.  These artifacts appear both on Dolphin 4.0 and 4.0.2 on multiple Pi 4's with official Retropie images that I have tried.  That said, when I play these games on X86 builds of the same legacy 32-bit revisions of Dolphin (running on my windows PC) these artifacts are not present at all.  Below are examples of the issue:

Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=20835]

Harvest Moon Wonderful Life:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=20834]

It seems that character polygons are severely broken and vertices flicker all over the screen making the game completely unplayable.  I cannot figure out what the problem and why it is a problem only on the Pi's while both games emulate extremely well on Dolphin 4.0 using a windows 32-bit build and OpenGL back-end.  Could it be something to do with the MESA 19.3.2 drivers on the Pi that support GL ES3.1?  It doesn't seem that 64-bit Pi users are experiencing these issues with newer dolphin builds and so I am not sure that the issues are with the Pi's video drivers.

Has anybody seen this type of graphical issue before?  Is there a setting in Dolphin that I might have overlooked that could remedy it?

Do you know if compiling a commit of Dolphin from later in 2014 (before the Nov. 2014 timeframe when apparently the ARM-JIT 32-bit became broken) might help to resolve this problem?  I have been having difficulties getting video to work at all on the compiled commits of Dolphin that I have attempted to build after 4.0.2 but if I thought that it might resolve this problem I could definitely give it another try.

Thank you in advance for any feedback that you might be able to provide.