Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cannot find Linux Mint controller config in expected location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having trouble finding the location of controller configs on my Linux Mint installation. For context, I dual boot Windows and Mint and I'm trying to create a unified Dolphin config for both (currently achieved by creating a symlink from my 'Documents/Dolphin Emulator' folder on Windows, to my '~/.local/share/dolphin-emu' folder on Linux. I have verified that this works for my save data and GameSettings, and I am encountering the issue above regardless of whether or not I am using a symlinked folder).

Here I have an example which shows that I have created a controller configuration and can load it, but I cannot find its file location
[attachment=20832]

It does not appear in the expected '~/.local/share/dolphin-emu/Config/Profiles/GCPad' path.
[attachment=20833]

I'd like to know where the config is saved and loaded from, so I can edit my controller configs as text, because I have a number of per-game keyboard and mouse profiles that would be annoying to replicate in the Dolphin editor.
By default, Dolphin follows the XDG base directory specification, storing its config in ~/.config/dolphin-emu/. If you want to have everything in one folder, there are a few ways to override this behavior, which are all described at https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...tory#Linux.
(01-26-2024, 03:19 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]By default, Dolphin follows the XDG base directory specification, storing its config in ~/.config/dolphin-emu/. If you want to have everything in one folder, there are a few ways to override this behavior, which are all described at https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...tory#Linux.

Thank you! This was very helpful, and I am able to achieve what I wanted.

However, I am quite confused as to how 'dolphin-emu -u ~/.config/dolphin-emu' is different from simply launching 'dolphin-emu'. The former creates a Config folder inside of ~/.config/dolphin-emu, but the latter treats ~/.config/dolphin-emu as if it is the Config folder. I'll be storing my Config in ~/.local/share/dolphin-emu so it doesn't really matter to me, but I guess now I'm just confused as to why Dolphin by default uses both ~/.config/dolphin-emu and ~/.local/share/dolphin-emu, instead of only ~/.config/dolphin-emu? I'm likely misunderstanding the XDG specfication.
(01-26-2024, 02:59 PM)Nohbdy Wrote: [ -> ]I guess now I'm just confused as to why Dolphin by default uses both ~/.config/dolphin-emu and ~/.local/share/dolphin-emu, instead of only ~/.config/dolphin-emu?

In short, Dolphin uses ~/.local/share/dolphin-emu for save files and other things that are not "configuration" per se.