Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Simple feature request--full side by side stereoscopic 3D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[color=#333333]currently the emulator supports half side by side stereoscopic 3D (horizontally squashed to 1/2) for 3D TVs which don't really exist anymore. recently AR glasses such as XReal are becoming popular and they are perfect for viewing 3D content (no cross talk, no reduced brightness, no flickering), except that they only support full side by side (horizontally not squashed, original aspect ratio for each image), probably because they are simply display devices and don't have an image processor to do even a simple stretching. Can a full side by side stereoscopic rendering mode be included, which would be so easy to do, so that these amazing GC games can be enjoyed in perfect 3D through AR glasses? Thank you![/color]
In the future, please keep requests under our feature request thread.  About your request, we can consider it, however, personally I am pretty swamped at the moment and will be for some time.

Unless I'm missing something, I would not call this an "easy" task.  All of our stereo modes are built off of the original resolution frame buffer.  Side by side, takes the two layers and squishes them together into that resolution, passive takes the two layers and interleaves them with the full image matching the resolution, anaglyph combines them with a color algorithm, etc.  Making a combined resolution (double the size) is not something that currently would just work.

I'd also like to see how much adoption this sees, I'd hate to go through the work and then see it only used on a couple of devices.  Looking for "full resolution side by side" does not yield much discussion nor give any indication of the number of devices that might be using this functionality.

Regardless, I wasn't aware this was a thing, thank you for the request!
(01-19-2024, 08:34 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]In the future, please keep requests under our feature request thread.  About your request, we can consider it, however, personally I am pretty swamped at the moment and will be for some time.

Unless I'm missing something, I would not call this an "easy" task.  All of our stereo modes are built off of the original resolution frame buffer.  Side by side, takes the two layers and squishes them together into that resolution, passive takes the two layers and interleaves them with the full image matching the resolution, anaglyph combines them with a color algorithm, etc.  Making a combined resolution (double the size) is not something that currently would just work.

I'd also like to see how much adoption this sees, I'd hate to go through the work and then see it only used on a couple of devices.  Looking for "full resolution side by side" does not yield much discussion nor give any indication of the number of devices that might be using this functionality.

Regardless, I wasn't aware this was a thing, thank you for the request!

Thank you. A friend helped me out. It turns out this feature is not only easy to implement, it's actually there already. By cloning and compiling dolphin's source code, my friend found out that there is a custom option in the aspect ratio dropdown box, and manually filling in 8:3 perfectly implements full side-by-side 3D. For several games I can also specify 32:9 and widescreen hack to achieve widescreen full side-by-side 3D. For some reason this option is disabled in the release. I came back just to report it. If some dev sees this and enable it in future releases I would greatly appreciate it!
(01-23-2024, 05:19 AM)icefox Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason this option is disabled in the release.

This feature didn't exist yet when the last beta release was made. It will be in the next beta release.
Such a coincidence! Thank you. I look forward to the next release.
Not sure if relevant but Dolphin also has a quad-buffered 3D mode.

Unfortunately, driver support is very anemic as all major GPU brands seems to have already dropped support for it. On Windows, it still works with legacy Intel iGPUs (found in CPUs from 6th to 10th gen), on NVIDIA it works only with RTX 2000 GPUs or earlier, when paired with an old driver (version 425.31 -- the last one before support was dropped) and AMD supposedly supported it on old drivers with pre-RDNA GPUs. Unsure about the situation on Linux, but last time I checked at least the closed-source NVIDIA driver still supported it...
(01-23-2024, 06:41 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This feature didn't exist yet when the last beta release was made. It will be in the next beta release.

(01-23-2024, 05:50 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if relevant but Dolphin also has a quad-buffered 3D mode.

Unfortunately, driver support is very anemic as all major GPU brands seems to have already dropped support for it. On Windows, it still works with legacy Intel iGPUs (found in CPUs from 6th to 10th gen), on NVIDIA it works only with RTX 2000 GPUs or earlier, when paired with an old driver (version 425.31 -- the last one before support was dropped) and AMD supposedly supported it on old drivers with pre-RDNA GPUs. Unsure about the situation on Linux, but last time I checked at least the closed-source NVIDIA driver still supported it...

Yes. I was a long time user of nv 3d vision before they gutted it. Now the best 3d device is the AR glasses. They display an image per eye natively and are perfect for displaying fsbs content. No cross talk no dimming no flickering. I’ve been playing 3ds games to a great effect on them.