Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Real wii remote button action AND hotkey action on a single button with both working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to try to basically turn Bust-A-Move into a co-op game by combining "Connect Wii Remotes for Emulated Controllers" with controller profiles and the hotkey for switching controller profiles.

But when I tested just using some USB controllers (X360 and PS4 controllers in fact), it seems that having a hotkey mapped to the same button used for the emulated wii remote results in the emulated wii remote's button input being ignored.

So, for example, when I had the dualshock4's X button mapped to the emulated Wii remote's A button and to the hotkey to switch to a second controller profile, pressing the dualshock4's X button would only change to the second controller profile and not also transmit the emulated Wii remote's A button.

What do?

Now with USB controllers I can cheat and use other software like JoyToKey and map the buttons to keyboard keys and then map those keyboard keys to the emulated Wii remote and also just use JoyToKey's own controller/profile switching function, but that obviously isn't going to work with a real Wii remote paired via bluetooth passthrough.

(Also I'd love to be able to do this for GameCube games, but it seems there's no hotkey function for changing GameCube controller profiles? That seems like a strange discrepancy...)

EDIT: I just realized that Dolphin somehow doesn't have a per-game setting for controls... The main thing is that there are only a few games that I want this sort of profile-switching hotkey stuff to apply to but, from what I can tell, there's no way to automate which games should be using what profiles and there's only a global setting, meaning I'd have to manually change it every time...
Maybe force a very short hold for the profile switch? Like
Code:
hold(`X`,0.01)
I'm not sure exactly what you need. If you just need both controllers to have a mapping to the button you can do something like
Code:
`X`|`SDL/0/Nintendo Switch Pro Controller:Button 0`
and not switch profiles.

I also don't see how this helps with passthrough. What exactly are you trying to do there?
To clarify, none of the GameCube/Wii Bust-A-Move games have a co-op mode, so I'm trying to turn their single player mode(s) into co-op. This means having a single emulated controller, but having at least two physical controllers.

What I want is that, every single time player 1's physical controller has the A button pressed, it activates the A button on the emulated controller and also makes their physical controller effectively disabled while 2's physical controller becomes "enabled" by becoming the emulated player 1 controller, and vice-versa. The controller swapping and disabling/enabling is easy enough and already works.

The problem is that the emulated controller's A button is not occurring. From my testing, mapping the emulated controller's A button and the "change wii controller profile" hotkey to the same physical controller button makes only the hotkey work, not the emulated controller's A button.

(12-14-2023, 01:18 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]I also don't see how this helps with passthrough. What exactly are you trying to do there?
My mention of passthrough is just to establish that using the likes of JoyToKey won't work in this scenario even though it would work for USB controllers.
(12-14-2023, 01:40 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]To clarify, none of the GameCube/Wii Bust-A-Move games have a co-op mode, so I'm trying to turn their single player mode(s) into co-op. This means having a single emulated controller, but having at least two physical controllers.

What I want is that, every single time player 1's physical controller has the A button pressed, it activates the A button on the emulated controller and also makes their physical controller effectively disabled while 2's physical controller becomes "enabled" by becoming the emulated player 1 controller, and vice-versa. The controller swapping and disabling/enabling is easy enough and already works.

The problem is that the emulated controller's A button is not occurring. From my testing, mapping the emulated controller's A button and the "change wii controller profile" hotkey to the same physical controller button makes only the hotkey work, not the emulated controller's A button.

Yes, it seems to switch profiles before it is input for a single frame. It would probably be best to just configure the first controller's A button on the second profile.
EDIT: Just realized that Dolphin somehow doesn't have a per-game setting for controls... That's going to make things a bit annoying to automate.

EDIT 2: Looks like one can manually edit some game ini configurations to make it work and, while it mentions GameCube and Wii controller profiles, it doesn't mention hotkey profiles...:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...s-per-game

(12-14-2023, 02:55 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]It would probably be best to just configure the first controller's A button on the second profile.

Ohhh I get it, so basically sort of invert the control configuration specifically for the A button but leave everything else as you'd normally want it.

Well I just tested that and it worked without issue, but it let me realize that hotkey profiles are separate from wii controller profiles, so physical controller 1 is still able to press A and switch the controller profile back to them which is a bit too easy to "cheat the system" then... Any idea on how to avoid that?

(I was planning to have a sort of inconvenient button combo so that it can't be abused that forces it to go back to your own controller as a fail-safe, something like A+B+1+2+plus+minus)