Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can "Connect wii remotes for emulated controllers" improve pre-motion plus games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some pre-motion plus games have somewhat janky motion controls that seem like they would have been much better suited of they had waited until motion plus was a thing.  An easy example is the optional 'baton' control mode in Bust-A-Move Bash! which is a perfect use-case for motion plus but, alas, the game released years before motion plus did.

Therefore I'm wondering if using "Connect Wii Remotes for Emulated Controllers" with a real motion plus Wii remote would improve things, i.e. if Dolphin is able to use the gyroscope of motion plus to more accurately transmit an expected repeatable accelerometer input that makes such games work much better?
AFAICT, nope. Pre-Motion Plus games won't "read" any kind of gyroscope data, by using Dolphin's "Connect Wii Remotes for Emulated Controllers" the emulator would read this data from the Wiimote but wouldn't be able to feed it to the game, since it wasn't programmed for that...
I'm aware of that as otherwise it'd be the case on real hardware as well, but that wasn't quite what I was asking.

My logic was that Dolphin sort of recreates a virtual wiimote in space that is moved around to activate the various motion movements, and I was thinking about if using a wiimote with motion plus would help Dolphin's "virtual wiimote" be more consistent and predictable when having to rely purely on transmitting accelerometer data to the game.

EDIT: A good example of this is how you can use a real motion plus wiimote without a sensor bar and have Dolphin use that to emulate a non-motion plus wiimote that has a sensor bar.
(12-14-2023, 04:39 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]My logic was that Dolphin sort of recreates a virtual wiimote in space that is moved around to activate the various motion movements, and I was thinking about if using a wiimote with motion plus would help Dolphin's "virtual wiimote" be more consistent and predictable when having to rely purely on transmitting accelerometer data to the game.

No, Dolphin just passes through the accelerometer data as it is. The gyroscope data on its own can't really be used to enhance the accelerometer data.