Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Where should the official Nintendo DSP files be stored for the Linux flatpak?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Historically I've always used the portable Windows version and, on there, it's super easy to know because you literally just directly replace the existing provided files with the official Nintendo DSP files.

But now I'm using the Linux flatpak which behaves more like the non-portable Windows version and, if I'm interpreting the Windows-focused instructions correctly on the wiki, you're supposed to just put the DSP files into the Dolphin user folder and it'll supposedly "just work".

...but the problem is that I have no idea if it actually is working and if I've really put the files in the correct location; in my case I put them into:
  • /home/nm64/.var/app/org.DolphinEmu.dolphin-emu/data/dolphin-emu/

One thing in particular is that there doesn't seem to be any actual indication in Dolphin if it's loaded the official Nintendo DSP files or not.

EDIT: I just did a some audio tests and I can definitely say that the above location is not correct as the resulting audio is 100% identical regardless of whether those official Nintendo DSP files are present in that location or not. Furthermore, that resulting audio is also identical to when using the open source DSP files on the Windows builds set to portable mode, and using the official Nintendo DSP files on the Windows builds set to portable mode does produce a different waveform.

Protip: Unlike modern versions of Dolphin, Dolphin 5.0 actually works in wine-devel 9.0-rc1, and you can similarly use the latest open source DSP files with Dolphin 5.0 and is what I used for my Windows build testing.

I'm testing with the title screen of Tetris Party Deluxe in case you're wondering. According to Audacity, when you line up the samples exactly between two waveforms, then invert one of the waveforms and then mix and render and then amplify, it lists 49dB as the required value to normalize the waveform which is certainly a pretty quiet difference, but it is a difference nonetheless (for reference, the examples where the resulting waveform was identical list an amplification value of "infinity")