Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hello there, can someone help with why I'm not getting my desired performance.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, got a weird situation with my PC.

Here are the specs:

- 16GB RAM
- Ryzen 5 4500
- RTX 3070 8GB
- 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD + 120GB Boot Drive

Not sure if I need to include much more specs info, but I happily can if needed.

Anyways, I've been trying to figure out why my emulation experience isn't as good as I'd like it to be. I try out the emulator with F Zero GX, but I seem to get slow downs no matter what settings I seem to play around with. I deleted the config file recently, to make all my settings go back to default, no extra graphics, just standard Gamecube native stuff. The slow downs seem to be even worse than they were before once that happened, not entirely sure why either.

So to cut the story short, can anyone maybe point me to the right settings I should be using, maybe point me in the right direction of why I'm getting slow downs in general? Super Mario Sunshine had a much similar story.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There are two things to keep in mind.

1. It wasn't until Ryzen 5000 that AMD Zen tangibly outperformed Haswell (Intel 4th gen) specifically in emulation workloads.

2. Ryzen 4000 has less L3 cache than most Zen2 Ryzen 3000 chips, therefore performance will be reduced somewhat.

This is mainly to help keep your expectations in check. That being said, last I knew, F-Zero GX by default had dual core mode disabled due to sometimes crashing or the like so, if you want to experiment with it, go into the individual game properties (right-click on the game in Dolphin's game list) and enable dual-core from there.

If worst comes to worst, I can totally take a look myself since, as mentioned, Haswell performs relatively similarly (what I'm running) and I know F-Zero GX like the back of my hand.

(also, protip if you don't already know: F-Zero GX has a built-in widescreen option, so no need to rely on widescreen hacks...unless you're doing ultrawide?)
(10-31-2023, 05:09 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]There are two things to keep in mind.

1. It wasn't until Ryzen 5000 that AMD Zen tangibly outperformed Haswell (Intel 4th gen) specifically in emulation workloads.

2. Ryzen 4000 has less L3 cache than most Zen2 Ryzen 3000 chips, therefore performance will be reduced somewhat.

This is mainly to help keep your expectations in check.  That being said, last I knew, F-Zero GX by default had dual core mode disabled due to sometimes crashing or the like so, if you want to experiment with it, go into the individual game properties (right-click on the game in Dolphin's game list) and enable dual-core from there.

If worst comes to worst, I can totally take a look myself since, as mentioned, Haswell performs relatively similarly (what I'm running) and I know F-Zero GX like the back of my hand.

(also, protip if you don't already know: F-Zero GX has a built-in widescreen option, so no need to rely on widescreen hacks...unless you're doing ultrawide?)

Thankyou for your reply, really appreciate it.

I noticed that about my CPU having a really small L3 cache, do you think that's one of the reasons I could be getting slow downs?

I think I did try enabling the dual core setting once before, I don't know if it made too much of a difference, but I also noticed that every time I checked that box, it would be unchecked when I re open the menu to enable it, so I assumed the setting never stuck and I couldn't find a way for it to stick either.

I did use riva tuner (not sure if that's correct spelling but whatever lol), with the afterburner tool and my CPU and GPU were nowhere near maxing out, temps were always great and I'd still get the slowdowns. Tried using task manager to see if anything spiked up on performance usage, didn't see anything. I changed out a HDD because I noticed it spiked everytime a slow down happened, so I don't use that anymore.

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU. Since I wasn't sure if that was the main issue, to probably a 5700x or a 5800x. I really want 5800x3d, but I don't know if it warrants a £100 increase in price, plus my budget doesn't quite stretch to £300, gotta put the kids first for Christmas lol. So yeah, would either of those 2 cpu's help potentially either remove slow downs? Or just make them less of a thing?

I'm definitely willing to play around with the emulator settings first before I do anything though, the PC is fine for what I need, until emulation comes into play lol. I can't run anything on CITRA either without massive spikes in frames too.
If you were running AMD graphics or Intel graphics and you're at least familiar enough with ISO files, then one easy "sanity check" would have been to boot into a live ISO of something like Linux Mint or, preferably, Linux Mint "Edge" considering your GPU, and install Dolphin via its built-in software manager and then just quickly see if things behave the same or not. But I'm uncertain how feasible that is with Nvidia graphics...

(You're always welcome to try though; I highly recommend using Ventoy for all of your ISO needs and then, once booted, load the "driver manager" program to install Nvidia drivers, then afterwords log out and log back in—don't reboot; then install Dolphin from the "software manager" program. Keep in mind that this is sort of "in theory" and isn't tested because the newest Nvidia GPU I own is a GTX 260, not a typo)

That being said, I did just remember something. When I last tested F-Zero GX around a year ago, I noticed that there were spots that I could run with like 5x internal resolutoin yet other spots on the exact same track in the exact same session where I'd need to drop all the way down to like 1x internal resolution to avoid slowdown, though I was using ubershaders. So, again as a sanity check, make sure internal resolution is set to 1x and maybe even try using the "skip drawing" graphics setting just for testing purposes as it should be the lightest-weight stutter-free graphics mode in exchange for maybe some temporary graphical glitches.

...which also made me remember another thing. I very recently noticed that I was getting stuttering with ubershaders when using Dolphin's default OpenGL backend, but not with Vulkan, so try changing to Vulkan? (and/or maybe DX12—I can't test that because I'm on Linux)

Lastly, as awesome as the 5800X3D is (quite comparable to the 7700X actually), the huge L3 cache really has no impact on Dolphin. It does help some more demanding and/or newer emulators but, for Dolphin, even the tiny L3 of your 4500 doesn't hurt it that much.
(11-01-2023, 03:22 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]If you were running AMD graphics or Intel graphics and you're at least familiar enough with ISO files, then one easy "sanity check" would have been to boot into a live ISO of something like Linux Mint or, preferably, Linux Mint "Edge" considering your GPU, and install Dolphin via its built-in software manager and then just quickly see if things behave the same or not. But I'm uncertain how feasible that is with Nvidia graphics...

(You're always welcome to try though; I highly recommend using Ventoy for all of your ISO needs and then, once booted, load the "driver manager" program to install Nvidia drivers, then afterwords log out and log back in—don't reboot; then install Dolphin from the "software manager" program. Keep in mind that this is sort of "in theory" and isn't tested because the newest Nvidia GPU I own is a GTX 260, not a typo)

That being said, I did just remember something. When I last tested F-Zero GX around a year ago, I noticed that there were spots that I could run with like 5x internal resolutoin yet other spots on the exact same track in the exact same session where I'd need to drop all the way down to like 1x internal resolution to avoid slowdown, though I was using ubershaders. So, again as a sanity check, make sure internal resolution is set to 1x and maybe even try using the "skip drawing" graphics setting just for testing purposes as it should be the lightest-weight stutter-free graphics mode in exchange for maybe some temporary graphical glitches.

...which also made me remember another thing. I very recently noticed that I was getting stuttering with ubershaders when using Dolphin's default OpenGL backend, but not with Vulkan, so try changing to Vulkan? (and/or maybe DX12—I can't test that because I'm on Linux)

Lastly, as awesome as the 5800X3D is (quite comparable to the 7700X actually), the huge L3 cache really has no impact on Dolphin. It does help some more demanding and/or newer emulators but, for Dolphin, even the tiny L3 of your 4500 doesn't hurt it that much.
Okay. Some interesting pieces of knowledge in there.

I have no way of testing Linux, unless I completely wipe my OS and change it over, unless like you said, I'd need an ISO burned to a CD R? That's what I took from what you said there.

As for changing graphical settings, the funny situation I have with my PC, is I deleted my config file where the Dolphin emulator is held on my PC, so I'm pretty much on a 1 for 1 setting with the Gamecube. I think the only thing I had checked when I last tested it out was:

- V Sync off
- Dual core setting enabled (in either config or graphics tab before booting a game)
- Vulkan backend

Everything else is on the literal default setting, so for example, when you open the emulator for the very first time after install, those settings. I haven't added any kind of graphical enhancements, no hacks for widescreen, anything like that. Still seems to have the same problems. For example in "Big Blue" on F Zero GX, whenever the stage loads up, where you get a brief few cutscenes of the track environment, it slows down, slows down when the race is counting down to start and it slows down a bit too at one of the first corners of the track with all the racers ahead of me. The track after "Big Blue"  when you select Grand Prix mode, that track has some really random slow downs aswell. 

Not sure why my PC has this issue, I'm sure my PC is powerful enough to run Gamecube native settings? No extra's like I mentioned above. I understand my hardware isn't top of the range, though I did have a preconception that a RTX 3070 was fairly powerful, even at 8GB, but maybe my expectations were a little too high.

I do still plan to upgrade my CPU regardless, I just want something a little beefier to treat myself over Christmas. So I'll probably just go with the 5800x, purely because the price difference is much smaller to go between a 5700x and 5800x than a 5800x3d. 5800x3d is obviously better than the non 3d one, but the benchmarks I've seen for normal gaming, isn't really impressive, unless you want higher 1% lows, or you game at 1080p, which seems to show the higher benefits.

If you think there is anything else I could try that may benefit my emulator experience, please do share, I'm happy to learn and give it a go, but I'm limited to in emulator settings, so I won't be able to test what it's like to try on other OS, or something else more advanced. I'm noob, but have a general understanding of the "basics", I use that term loosely lol.
(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]I have no way of testing Linux, unless I completely wipe my OS and change it over, unless like you said, I'd need an ISO burned to a CD R? That's what I took from what you said there.
Oh no no, that's what Ventoy was for. If you have a spare USB drive or the like, you can install Ventoy onto it and then just copy & paste whatever ISO onto the Ventoy partition. From there you just select the USB drive as your boot device.

That being said, it sounds like you're not exactly familiar with such things, so I can't say I would necessarily recommend it for you.

(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]- Dual core setting enabled (in either config or graphics tab before booting a game)
Oh, this might be the problem. You need to enable dual core in the per-game options, that is right-clicking F-Zero GX when it is listed in your Dolphin game list and then selecting "Properties".

(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]Everything else is on the literal default setting
The defaults use settings that can result in stutters though which is why I suggested, for the time being just for testing, to change the "Shader compilation" settings to "Skip drawing".

(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]For example in "Big Blue" on F Zero GX, whenever the stage loads up, where you get a brief few cutscenes of the track environment, it slows down, slows down when the race is counting down to start and it slows down a bit too at one of the first corners of the track with all the racers ahead of me.
If you're talking about the first Blig Blue, the one in the sapphire cup, then I believe I recall seeing basically the same thing occurring on a Ryzen 4800U which uses the exact same CPU architecture, reduced L3 cache and all but with 2 more cores. I had attributed it to the integrated graphics' memory bandwidth as simply dropping to 1x internal resolution seemed to alleviate it, but you're saying that you're already on 1x internal resolution...

(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]The track after "Big Blue" when you select Grand Prix mode, that track has some really random slow downs aswell.
I'm guessing you're talking about Port Town: Aero Dive since the only other "Big Blue" track is at the end of the emerald cup and therefore doesn't have any other track after it.

(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure why my PC has this issue, I'm sure my PC is powerful enough to run Gamecube native settings? No extra's like I mentioned above. I understand my hardware isn't top of the range, though I did have a preconception that a RTX 3070 was fairly powerful, even at 8GB, but maybe my expectations were a little too high.
You're focusing way too much on the GPU and not enough on the CPU. The GPU-CPU balance is basically reversed with emulation compared to native PC games to the point that even modern AMD integrated graphics are able to run exclusive ubershaders with higher-than-native resolution when paired with enough memory bandwidth.

(11-01-2023, 04:29 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]the price difference is much smaller to go between a 5700x and 5800x than a 5800x3d.
That's because the performance difference between the 5700X and 5800X is a bajillion times smaller than the performance difference between the 5800X and 5800X3D to the point that the 5800X is almost considered a pointless next to the other two CPUs, i.e. you either save a buck and get the 5700X or you go for the extra performance of the 5800X3D.

(keep in mind that originally only the 5800X was available, hence why it's almost kind of seen a sort of pointless CPU nowadays)

...though, considering how the huge L3 cache doesn't even really help Dolphin, the 5800X amusingly is actually probably the fastest AM4 CPU you could get for Dolphin even if it is only a teeny bit faster than the 5700X (and not counting more "prosumer" options like the 5950X).
(11-01-2023, 05:57 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh no no, that's what Ventoy was for. If you have a spare USB drive or the like, you can install Ventoy onto it and then just copy & paste whatever ISO onto the Ventoy partition. From there you just select the USB drive as your boot device.

That being said, it sounds like you're not exactly familiar with such things, so I can't say I would necessarily recommend it for you.

Oh, this might be the problem. You need to enable dual core in the per-game options, that is right-clicking F-Zero GX when it is listed in your Dolphin game list and then selecting "Properties".

You're focusing way too much on the GPU and not enough on the CPU. The GPU-CPU balance is basically reversed with emulation compared to native PC games to the point that even modern AMD integrated graphics is able to run exclusive ubershaders with higher-than-native resolution when paired with enough memory bandwidth.

That's because the performance difference between the 5700X and 5800X is a bajillion times smaller than the performance difference between the 5800X and 5800X3D to the point that the 5800X is almost considered a pointless next to the other two CPUs, i.e. you either save a buck and get the 5700X or you go for the extra performance of the 5800X3D.

(keep in mind that originally only the 5800X was available, hence why it's almost kind of seen a sort of pointless CPU nowadays)
Thanks once again for the reply.

I'm new to this site, so don't know how to copy quotes like you do, apologies, so I'll just reply the way I normally do for now.

I could probably get Ventoy up and running if I checked out a tutorial or something, but I'm probably going to pass on that idea, though I will keep it in mind as another option.

So I do know how to check the enable dual core option in the properties section, the only problem is, everytime I check that option, it doesn't save. Well I don't think it does, since when I go back into the properties right click menu, after I click it to be on, it doesn't stay checked and enabled. So I don't know if that means it's been disabled or not, or not properly saved.

I see about the GPU and CPU situation. That definitely does make sense, since any kind of mention of the 4500 seems to have people saying it's generally trash for a CPU. At the time when I built the PC, I just picked any old Ryzen to cut costs, since at the time I just needed to move on from the FX 8320e I had, so anything at the time seemed like an upgrade and it ultimately was. 

Yeah I noticed that about the 5700x comparisons with the other 2 CPU's, which maybe might make me lean towards just getting the 5700x, especially since it has a similar TDP to my 4500 and energy saving is always nice, with the added benefit of better overall performance. 

Just to finish off my reply though, if you could help me keep that dual core setting saved and never uncheck itself (because I don't know how to), I'll definitely give that a try before I even get the 5700x, because if I can just have an overal decent experience with emulators in general, I'm not too fussed about upgrading my CPU. Although I probably will still upgrade anyways, regardless of if it helps run emulators better or not.
(11-01-2023, 06:14 AM)DD93AFC Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks once again for the reply.

I'm new to this site, so don't know how to copy quotes like you do, apologies, so I'll just reply the way I normally do for now.

I could probably get Ventoy up and running if I checked out a tutorial or something, but I'm probably going to pass on that idea, though I will keep it in mind as another option.

So I do know how to check the enable dual core option in the properties section, the only problem is, everytime I check that option, it doesn't save. Well I don't think it does, since when I go back into the properties right click menu, after I click it to be on, it doesn't stay checked and enabled. So I don't know if that means it's been disabled or not, or not properly saved.

I see about the GPU and CPU situation. That definitely does make sense, since any kind of mention of the 4500 seems to have people saying it's generally trash for a CPU. At the time when I built the PC, I just picked any old Ryzen to cut costs, since at the time I just needed to move on from the FX 8320e I had, so anything at the time seemed like an upgrade and it ultimately was. 

Yeah I noticed that about the 5700x comparisons with the other 2 CPU's, which maybe might make me lean towards just getting the 5700x, especially since it has a similar TDP to my 4500 and energy saving is always nice, with the added benefit of better overall performance. 

Just to finish off my reply though, if you could help me keep that dual core setting saved and never uncheck itself (because I don't know how to), I'll definitely give that a try before I even get the 5700x, because if I can just have an overal decent experience with emulators in general, I'm not too fussed about upgrading my CPU. Although I probably will still upgrade anyways, regardless of if it helps run emulators better or not.
Hello again.

Just wanted to write in, so I don't keep this thread going too long.

I now have a 5700x, whether or not I get better emulator experience doesn't matter too much. I just came here for advice and I got some good pointers for some stuff I should try. Hopefully the 5700x clears up all the issues I had before though lol.

Appreciate the feedback and help though that you tried to give me. All the best!