Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Paper Mario crashes every reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to play Super Paper Mario in Dolphin emulator. Every time I reboot my PC and launch SPM in Dolphin, the game will crash when I flip into 3D, switch characters, or open a door. It seems to be an in-game crash; the emulator doesn't crash or give a warning message, but the game freezes and makes a beep/buzz noise that I have heard before on my Wii in various games crashing. If I force quit the SPM emulation and restart the game, I will be able to play normally until the next reboot.

I believe I have tested this glitch on both OpenGL and Vulkan and it has no effect on the glitch.

Why is this happening? How can I fix it?
Two things you could try to check:
- Have you verified that you have a good game dump? Right-click the game in Dolphin's list > Properties >Verify Tab > Verify. If you have a bad dump you could try redumping your game from disc
- Are you using the radaeon proprietary drivers, or the open source drivers? You could try switching to the other driver and seeing if that produces the same issue?
My game dump of R8PP01 has been verified as a good dump

I believe I should be using the open source driver, since "glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor string" | cut -f2 -d":" | xargs" returns "AMD" and I'm on Debian which by default only comes with free software (barring non free firmware in Debian 12) and I never recall installing any proprietary GPU drivers on this machine.

I don't really know how to change to the proprietary driver nor am I sure if it might cause other issues with my system
Is there a way of getting logs so I can debug this crash? I still haven't found a solution or explanation for this problem.
In the top menu, go to "View" > "Show Log and "Show Log Configuration" and turn them on. In the log config window you can turn on different log types and verbosity level. Not sure what configuration you'd need, but you can play around with it and see if you can find anything
Okay, I've made a Pastebin of my log when SPM crashes (this crash is specifically triggered by switching Luigi to Mario)
https://pastebin.com/XyUmNyw7
The crash occurs at around
31:38:147 Core/IOS/USB/Bluetooth/BTEmu.cpp:406 E[IOS_WIIMOTE]: ACL queue size reached 100 - current packet will be dropped!

It was in red in the log window in Dolphin so presumably that means it's an important error?

What could this mean?
"ACL queue size reached 100 - current packet will be dropped!" means that the game isn't responding to Wii Remote events. This is something that happens because the game crashed – it isn't the cause of the crash.
It seems that disabling Dual Core may have fixed this issue, I'm not sure why though.
(11-22-2023, 07:44 AM)MiracleDinner Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that disabling Dual Core may have fixed this issue, I'm not sure why though.

Actually, I have just had this issue again despite having Dual Core disabled, it seems odd that disabling Dual Core would only temporarily rectify the issue.
I am sorry to be contradicting what I said in OP, but I am now finding from my testing that using OpenGL rectifies this issue (regardless of Dual Core), even though I am fairly sure that at the time I wrote OP, doing so wasn't making a difference. I am still completely unsure why this is the case, although I might mention that when playing TTYD (a GameCube game that is the predecessor to SPM in the Paper Mario series, and uses the same engine) I also at one point experienced crashing issues in Vulkan that I fixed by switching to OpenGL.