Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Minimum config required for MKWii?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm thinking about getting a laptop and I was wondering what would be the minimum required to run MKWii (online) full speed with no enhancements ?
I have basically no knowledge in hardware, tho I did play mkw on shitty shcool computers quite ok.
Would something like this be enough Intel i3-1115G4 Dual-Core 1.7GHz,  8GB ram, Intel UHD gpu ?
Honestly nearly any modern PC is more than overkill.

However, the problem is that CPU was arguably not "modern" even when it was new and, despite very good IPC for emulation workloads, its low base clock is concerning since emulation is something that consistently taxes the processor so you'd have to make absolute sure that the CPU remains in a highly-clocked state.

Normally I'd say that you should avoid Intel graphics if you can help it, but it seems the laptop you're looking at actually comes with Linux Mint (is this a common thing in France? It's very much not in North America...) which automatically avoids their issue of lacking graphics drivers on the Windows side of things.

Also the graphics hardware performance of Intel is still usually quite unimpressive but, since you did say without any enhancements ala 480p, it would still be fine—even if the RAM is single-channel since at least being DDR4-3200 will certainly help (dual-channel RAM would farther improve graphics performance, especially with rendering at higher resolutions).

Just to clarify, regarding GPU vendor, the drivers situation basically boils down to:

Linux
AMD: good
Intel: good
Nvidia: bad

Windows
AMD: good
Intel: bad
Nvidia: good

Keeping in mind that, while this is independent of the GPU hardware's capabilities, having good drivers can still improve performance—sometimes to a substantial degree. And that, in terms of the GPU hardware's actual capabilities, it's usually AMD and Nvidia tied and then Intel behind, but Intel puts their fastest integrated graphics into their laptop chips so that muddies the waters since AMD's fastest integrated graphics are usually the desktop equivalent of their laptop chips (and Nvidia has only made discrete GPUs in the x86 PC space for ~15 years now).

Also, on Intel and AMD, using the Vulkan backend may or may not give substantial performance improvements, particularly on Windows.

EDIT: I can't help but want to at least mention that, in terms of much more build-it-yourself laptop stuff, Framework is offering their i5 mainboard (with CPU) of the same CPU generation but with faster integrated graphics for $200 USD. Now, yes, it still requires the rest of the components, but for some people they may enjoy having such a DIY-PC build option in laptop form (do note that it defaults to selecting the $300 i7 variant):