Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin and the Options Explanation [LETS MAKE A LIST]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[color=#FF0000]
Dolphin and the Options Explanation
[/color]

Now I know many noobs don't understand what each option does/what it is for. I don't know what some of them are for either.

So if you have a explantion of an option like dual core or something then post that and I will add.

Don't know what I mean?

(01-11-2010, 01:14 AM)RupeeClock Wrote: [ -> ]What you need to make is a glossary of terms, not an answer to every question.

Define "Core"
Define "Dual Core"
Define "Threads"
Define "XFB"
Define "Cache"
Define "EFB"
Define "RAM"
Define "Idle Skipping"
Define "Frame Limit"
Define "DSP"
Define "Interpreter"
Define "Recompiler"
Define "HLE"
Define "ILP"
Define "OpenGL"
Define "Direct3D"
Define "Vsync"

and so on an so on...

Hopefully this becomes a full and complete list that will help everyone.

So start posting to get yours in!
i think this thread wont be very useful since all the different games needs their especific config, i get the idea of this thread, but, this would be better in the PCSX2 forum cause their emu doesnt need to change the options for each game like dolphin does, its better to see the official game thread to know their exact config.
Mm....In some options (not all) if you move the mouse to them and keep it there it will appear a box saying what for or a explanation for the function. That would be nice.
But not all have a box of explanation like: Frame stepping, Some Wii options in Wii tab(Config)
Mm...As naroth sayed each game has its optimal settings.
(01-10-2010, 10:45 PM)Jefferson Wrote: [ -> ]Mm....In some options (not all) if you move the mouse to them and keep it there it will appear a box saying what for or a explanation for the function. That would be nice.
But not all have a box of explanation like: Frame stepping, Some Wii options in Wii tab(Config)
Mm...As naroth sayed each game has its optimal settings.

(01-10-2010, 05:50 PM)naroth Wrote: [ -> ]i think this thread wont be very useful since all the different games needs their especific config, i get the idea of this thread, but, this would be better in the PCSX2 forum cause their emu doesnt need to change the options for each game like dolphin does, its better to see the official game thread to know their exact config.

oh no no no i wasn't trying to make a thread for a games optimal settings i was just trying to get everyone to put a thread together explaining what a specific options does

like what does framelimiting do?

what does the watchdog do?

what does optimizing quantiziers do?

that's what i'm trying to do here
So you just want a technical glossary then.
Mm...Like this one?
(01-03-2010, 06:31 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Having "Lock threads to core" enabled means that the threads in dolphin will stick to one core. If the option is disabled, the threads will go to whatever core Windows decides (usually the core with the most capacity available).

Disabling "lock threads to core" can sometimes be slower because it adds a "context switching" overhead. This overhead is the small amount of work that Windows needs to set up on the thread on the new core.

Enabling "lock threads to core" can sometimes be slower because the core may get some extra workload down the line and be low on capacity.

In the end, try it and see. It'll be different for everyone - that's why it is an option.
Mmm...In his point of view it will be most useful on Dual Core CPUs.
(01-11-2010, 12:47 AM)Jefferson Wrote: [ -> ]Mm...Like this one?
(01-03-2010, 06:31 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Having "Lock threads to core" enabled means that the threads in dolphin will stick to one core. If the option is disabled, the threads will go to whatever core Windows decides (usually the core with the most capacity available).

Disabling "lock threads to core" can sometimes be slower because it adds a "context switching" overhead. This overhead is the small amount of work that Windows needs to set up on the thread on the new core.

Enabling "lock threads to core" can sometimes be slower because the core may get some extra workload down the line and be low on capacity.

In the end, try it and see. It'll be different for everyone - that's why it is an option.
Mmm...In his point of view it will be most useful on Dual Core CPUs.

Too detailed.
What you need to make is a glossary of terms, not an answer to every question.

Define "Core"
Define "Dual Core"
Define "Threads"
Define "XFB"
Define "Cache"
Define "EFB"
Define "RAM"
Define "Idle Skipping"
Define "Frame Limit"
Define "DSP"
Define "Interpreter"
Define "Recompiler"
Define "HLE"
Define "ILP"
Define "OpenGL"
Define "Direct3D"
Define "Vsync"

For the most part, explaining what these things are first will answer many questions.
(01-11-2010, 01:14 AM)RupeeClock Wrote: [ -> ]What you need to make is a glossary of terms, not an answer to every question.

Define "Core"
Define "Dual Core"
Define "Threads"
Define "XFB"
Define "Cache"
Define "EFB"
Define "RAM"
Define "Idle Skipping"
Define "Frame Limit"
Define "DSP"
Define "Interpreter"
Define "Recompiler"
Define "HLE"
Define "ILP"
Define "OpenGL"
Define "Direct3D"
Define "Vsync"

For the most part, explaining what these things are first will answer many questions.

wish there was 1+ or 1up or something b/c you hit the nail right on the head!

now that we know what i'm trying to do lets get started

Big Grin
(01-11-2010, 01:24 AM)TheBboyKnowledge Wrote: [ -> ]

Define "Core"
Define "Dual Core"
Define "Threads"
Define "XFB"
Define "Cache"
Define "EFB"
Define "RAM"
Define "Idle Skipping"
Define "Frame Limit"
Define "DSP"
Define "Interpreter"
Define "Recompiler"
Define "HLE"
Define "ILP"
Define "OpenGL"
Define "Direct3D"
Define "Vsync"

wish there was 1+ or 1up or something b/c you hit the nail right on the head!

now that we know what i'm trying to do lets get started

Big Grin
Mm...Started in the first post, next posts or giving an external link?
you can give and external link or post a definition in your next post
Pages: 1 2 3