Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin GCI folder can't be changed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The default GCI folder is something like bla/bla/Dolphin/User/GC

This folder is created by Dolphin with three subfolders: EUR, JAP and USA

If I create a similar folder somewhere else with those three subfolders and try to change the path to this new folder I get the message:

[Image: wnupubr.png]

How does that make sense? The default path is handled with subfolders for all regions but if I change it I have to choose one specific region folder?!
Updated the post with an imgur link, since the attachment feature of this forum isn't working.
Where is your new GCI Folder on the system that you are trying to configure Dolphin to use?
D:\Emulation\misc\Dolphin Gamecube GCI

But I can't even re-use the old folder by choosing it manually. If I click on the three dots right of the path and immediately click on "Select Folder" without changing it, I get the same error.
Am I not "getting it" or why is there seemingly no one else with my problem? Big Grin
(11-29-2023, 05:49 AM)Super-M Wrote: [ -> ]Am I not "getting it" or why is there seemingly no one else with my problem? Big Grin

No, I've had problems with GCI folders ever since JAP (auromatically created by Dolphin) was changed to JPN to avoid possibly offending some users. I gave up trying to diagnose the problem and just put up with the incovenience of having to browse manually to the folder each time I use Memory Card Manager (I'm using Linux btw). Apparently most people don't have a problem.
I'd like to bump this if that's okay...
Try selecting one of the region folders instead of the parent folders. For example, if you want the GCI folder to be on D:\Dolphin\blabla, select (or create and select if it doesn't exist yet), D:\Dolphin\blabla\USA and it should work (AFAIK)...
That seems to work. Thank you.

edit: scratch that. The SRAM.raw file is still saved at the default location. Fuck it. Back to symlinks it is...

edit2 and small rant: And the default location isn't even something like c:\user\Super-M\appdata\Dolphin\somewhere, no it's in my Documents folder between scans of my tax papers, payment notices and health documents!! Why?!
(04-23-2024, 07:58 PM)Super-M Wrote: [ -> ]edit: scratch that. The SRAM.raw file is still saved at the default location. Fuck it. Back to symlinks it is...

That's because the SRAM file has nothing to do with memory cards. If you want to change where Dolphin stores all of its data, see https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t..._Directory

(04-23-2024, 07:58 PM)Super-M Wrote: [ -> ]edit2 and small rant: And the default location isn't even something like c:\user\Super-M\appdata\Dolphin\somewhere, no it's in my Documents folder between scans of my tax papers, payment notices and health documents!! Why?!

In the past Dolphin always used Documents, but nowadays it's been changed to AppData for new installs. The simplest way to make Dolphin use AppData instead is to remove the Dolphin Emulator folder and then starting Dolphin again. (Of course, if you want to keep your save data, you should move the folder somewhere else rather than outright deleting it.)
Pages: 1 2