Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin debug multiple wiimotes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please read the link mbc07. All intel AX cards has a BW problem or limitation. Want to try for yourself? Get two dualsense connected.

Reports include motherboards with external antennas. Is not a signal problem. There are some tricks and exceptions. All documented in the link.
Ok, it seems I need to do some other trial and errors if passthrough is not required, and see if without it multiple remote works reliably.

I would like to avoid occupying an usb port for nothing...

Somehow I've never got the accelerometer working, and since after turning passthrough on it worked flawlessy, I never looked back.
It could also be that need to change some system settings (have a Linux machine, not Windows)

It is also confusing that https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...st_results does not state if those results hold when passthrough is disabled or not Sad
There is no data. But most adapters works fine on non passthrough. Just avoid the shitt* and generic ones.

Try the intel one too, but if keep disconnecting, dont blame dolphin. Accelerometer should work fine without any additional config.
(09-03-2023, 02:38 PM)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]Please read the link mbc07. All intel AX cards has a BW problem or limitation. Want to try for yourself? Get two dualsense connected.

Reports include motherboards with external antennas. Is not a signal problem. There are some tricks and exceptions. All documented in the link.
Well, I did read that thread when you posted initially. TBH, that's not a lot of complains, especially if I filter out the repeated spam posts you keep making there.

To be clear, I'm not denying a problem exists, it just doesn't seem as big as you're trying to make it look and is vastly different from my personal experience (and also from some close friends tech savvy enough to know what they're doing) with the recent Intel cards. Just keep in mind that Intel is not alone in that "wireless M.2 card" segment and yet their cards still are the most widely used. If they really were as bad (and for as long) as you're implying, OEMs would have already started switching to other brands, don't you think?

Also, your "test" to point out the adapter is faulty is kinda silly, especially when not even a real PS5 will keep the 1000 Hz polling rate when multiple controllers are connected simultaneously, the console dynamically adjusts the polling rate and it can go as low as 125 Hz in the worst scenario (4 controllers + voice chat), exactly the same behavior from the PS4. You've found a 3rd party adapter that can keep up with the highest polling rate even when multiple controllers are connected simultaneously? That's great, but definitely not the norm (and likely out of spec).

Anyway, I won't dig deeper than that as this "trash Intel adapters" talk already got off-topic enough and IMO not relevant to the OP.

(09-03-2023, 07:47 PM)fran Wrote: [ -> ]Somehow I've never got the accelerometer working, and since after turning passthrough on it worked flawlessy, I never looked back.
It could also be that need to change some system settings (have a Linux machine, not Windows)
It has been a while since I last tried using Wiimotes with Dolphin on Linux, but it should be as easy as selecting "Emulate a BT adapter" mode, enabling "continuous scanning", setting one or more Wiimotes to "Real Wiimote", then pressing 1+2 (or the red sync button if you have a -TR Wiimote) while Dolphin is open. The Wiimote should pair and connect a few moments later and all of its features (including the motion sensors and any plugged extension) should just work. Please let me know if that doesn't work for you.

(09-03-2023, 07:47 PM)fran Wrote: [ -> ]It is also confusing that https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...st_results does not state if those results hold when passthrough is disabled or not Sad
The test results from that wiki page are exclusively in Bluetooth Passthrough mode. For regular mode, as long as it's not a super old adapter, it should work fine.
Thank you all for your support.

Testing on another device I think I know why it never worked for me without passthrough: a permission issue.

I've synced one wimmote with my PC, it gets recognized on KDE without issues (strangely pairing with 1+2 does not work... sic)

From dolphin logs

----
41:34:053 Core/HW/WiimoteReal/IOhidapi.cpp:21 E[Wiimote]: Could not connect to Wii Remote at "/dev/hidraw5". Do you have permission to access the device?
----

In this thread https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ma...r-on-linux, there is a similar error message, the solution seems to be to add

----
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="id", ATTRS{idProduct}=="id", MODE="0666"
----

and reload with "sudo udevadm control --reload-rules"

I'm not sure if this is a dolphin bug (if the udev rules should not be reqquired), or a packaging error (if the udev rules are required but missing)

So next test will be multiple wiimotes without passthroug...
(09-04-2023, 04:12 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I did read that thread when you posted initially. TBH, that's not a lot of complains, especially if I filter out the repeated spam posts you keep making there.

To be clear, I'm not denying a problem exists, it just doesn't seem as big as you're trying to make it look and is vastly different from my personal experience (and also from some close friends tech savvy enough to know what they're doing) with the recent Intel cards. Just keep in mind that Intel is not alone in that "wireless M.2 card" segment and yet their cards still are the most widely used. If they really were as bad (and for as long) as you're implying, OEMs would have already started switching to other brands, don't you think?

Also, your "test" to point out the adapter is faulty is kinda silly, especially when not even a real PS5 will keep the 1000 Hz polling rate when multiple controllers are connected simultaneously, the console dynamically adjusts the polling rate and it can go as low as 125 Hz in the worst scenario (4 controllers + voice chat), exactly the same behavior from the PS4. You've found a 3rd party adapter that can keep up with the highest polling rate even when multiple controllers are connected simultaneously? That's great, but definitely not the norm (and likely out of spec).

Anyway, I won't dig deeper than that as this "trash Intel adapters" talk already got off-topic enough and IMO not relevant to the OP.

Intel ax bt adapters cant hold two dualsense connected. There are not a single report of working case. And also not many people use more than 1 dualsense on PC. 

My guess, intel is not correctly adjusting the pollrate. Driver or hw problem. 

Also reported TR mote doesnt have sound (non TR has) with ax card and non passthrough and you didnt help with that. Maybe you dont have a TR one, or didnt have time to help me debug the problem.

But feel free to go to intel forum and help the people there connecting their dualsenses.
I did not test extensively, here is the current result

I've connected (via sync button) 3 wiimotes and the board to linux, and disabled passthrough.

Everything seems to work without issues (tested non-continuously for a dozen of minutes with the three remotes) after changing the udev rule, except two things (see at the end)

Obviously I found https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ontrollers after testing and noticed that I did the opposite of whats written there

> To connect a Wii Remote, press "Refresh" then press the 1 + 2 buttons on your Wii Remote simultaneously (Sync button for -TR models).

> Do not pair the Wii Remote to your computer through its native Bluetooth settings. The operating system may interfere with Dolphin's ability to connect with the Wii Remote.

Oh well.
As long as it runs stable, I do not think I'm going to retest another config...

Having the wiimote connected to the host system, has the advantage that I can use it also outside of a game.... (for example for selecting and starting a game from the dolphin UI!)

So it seems I do not need to buy a bluetooth adapter (yeah, one usb port more for something else!), just a power adapter for the sensor bar of the wii.

The two things that are not working as expected:

The wiimote do not make no sound; they only vibrate.
Root cause might be that I've not checked the box "Enable speaker data"?

The second issue, more annoying, is that the balance board does not turn itself of after a period of inactivity (I read somewhere that it should be the case), and since it does not have a power off button, I need to remove at least one battery...
(09-06-2023, 07:09 AM)fran Wrote: [ -> ]> Do not pair the Wii Remote to your computer through its native Bluetooth settings. The operating system may interfere with Dolphin's ability to connect with the Wii Remote.

Oh well.
As long as it runs stable, I do not think I'm going to retest another config...

Having the wiimote connected to the host system, has the advantage that I can use it also outside of a game.... (for example for selecting and starting a game from the dolphin UI!)
This sentence is aimed mostly at Windows users. The normal pairing process on Windows 10/11 refuses to proceed without entering a PIN code and that's troublesome with Wiimotes (especially the -TR ones), so Dolphin does that under the hood. Other OSes are generally trouble free, even if you pair the Wiimote manually.

(09-06-2023, 07:09 AM)fran Wrote: [ -> ]The two things that are not working as expected:

The wiimote do not make no sound; they only vibrate.
Root cause might be that I've not checked the box "Enable speaker data"?

The second issue, more annoying, is that the balance board does not turn itself of after a period of inactivity (I read somewhere that it should be the case), and since it does not have a power off button, I need to remove at least one battery...
Yep, you need to check "Enable Speaker Data" in order to get sound from the Wiimotes. That option doesn't come enabled by default because even with it enabled, audio won't play correctly. If you have a non-TR Wiimote, all you'll hear is a garbled mess of random noises, with -TR Wiimotes you'll hear a somewhat recognizable sound, but still with lower quality than what you would get from a real Wii.

Without going too technical, a real Wii enables Bluetooth sniff mode, which allows communication at a higher polling rate that's vital to get proper Wiimote audio. Unfortunately, the BT stack of the OSes we currently support does not allow enabling that mode, no matter what BT adapter you use, as result, Wiimote audio suffers. Dolphin tries to work around that by duplicating specific reports when "Enable Speaker Data" is active, but the results are far from ideal. Bluetooth Passthrough doesn't have this limitation, as the emulated game will be controlling the adapter directly, so it's the only option if you want perfect Wiimote audio, at least for now.

Regarding the Balance Board, I'm not sure if that's the expected behavior (never had one). I guess you can try disconnecting it from the BT Settings of the host OS? Either that, or toggling Bluetooth off and on should do the trick, I think...
(09-06-2023, 03:46 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]This sentence is aimed mostly at Windows users. The normal pairing process on Windows 10/11 refuses to proceed without entering a PIN code and that's troublesome with Wiimotes (especially the -TR ones), so Dolphin does that under the hood. Other OSes are generally trouble free, even if you pair the Wiimote manually.

Ok, good to know.

(09-06-2023, 03:46 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, you need to check "Enable Speaker Data" in order to get sound from the Wiimotes. That option doesn't come enabled by default because even with it enabled, audio won't play correctly. If you have a non-TR Wiimote, all you'll hear is a garbled mess of random noises, with -TR Wiimotes you'll hear a somewhat recognizable sound, but still with lower quality than what you would get from a real Wii.

Without going too technical, a real Wii enables Bluetooth sniff mode, which allows communication at a higher polling rate that's vital to get proper Wiimote audio. Unfortunately, the BT stack of the OSes we currently support does not allow enabling that mode, no matter what BT adapter you use, as result, Wiimote audio suffers. Dolphin tries to work around that by duplicating specific reports when "Enable Speaker Data" is active, but the results are far from ideal. Bluetooth Passthrough doesn't have this limitation, as the emulated game will be controlling the adapter directly, so it's the only option if you want perfect Wiimote audio, at least for now.

Thanks for the explanation.

(09-06-2023, 03:46 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the Balance Board, I'm not sure if that's the expected behavior (never had one). I guess you can try disconnecting it from the BT Settings of the host OS? Either that, or toggling Bluetooth off and on should do the trick, I think...

After some testing, I've got the impression that the balance board works better if it is paired with the OS.
If paired with dolphin "directly", then it seems to not work very well, as-if it is stuttering, is does not seem to recognize immediately if I move, or only some after time and sometimes.
When connected to the host, it works as-if (at least my impression) if I was using it on a real Wii.
Not sure if there is some interesting data I could gather.

On the other hand, if connected directly to dolphin, after closing the game, the board turns itself off after a short period of time, as expected.

I guess I'll pair then everything with the OS, and turn off the balance board manually (but happy to test the other setup again if the balance board has known issues and it can help to fix them)
For TR ones sound is 9/10 on non passthrough mode. Didnt notice any big difference than with passthrough. Maybe for games with a lot of sounds? Dont know. I even can play mp3 files on TR one. For non TR ones, it´s gargage sound, unusable.

Depends on the game you play, speaker audio could be mandatory or not.
Pages: 1 2