Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can i make my laptop run windwaker better
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an hp elitebook 830 g5 with an i5 8350u (quad core 8 threads with turbo boost up to 3.6 ghz) 8 gb of ram and a uhd 620 as my igpu i can run windwaker at 30 fps 1x resolution but i see devices such as the gpd win 2 with a far weaker cpu running it at 720p 30 fps how can i improve my fps??
One quick & easy thing is to just see if changing the graphics backend between OpenGL and Vulkan makes any difference.

But other than that, there are two things.

#1 Check if your RAM is single-channel or dual-channel (you can find this out via the program CPU-Z in its "Memory" tab in the "Channel #" section). If it says "single" then that'll hurt your integrated GPU performance, especially with regards to running at higher resolutions since that is something that particularly cares about memory bandwidth.

#2 You have Intel graphics, and older-ish ones at that. The older your Intel graphics are, the worse the drivers are going to be on Windows and you might even need to use Linux to get the most out of your iGPU hardware.

That being said, I see that the GPD Win 2 has what is effectively the same GPU architecture, but the key difference is that it has LPDDR3 memory which you can roughly compare to dual-channel DDR4. This farther leads me to believe that your own laptop is in fact running in single-channel mode.

This does remind me however that some laptops do the lame thing where, even with two sticks of RAM, they would still only run in single-channel mode so, if CPU-Z says you're running in single-channel, then also check the SPD tab and make sure you do in fact only have one stick of RAM by clicking on the drop-down menu labeled "Slot #1" (if you have multiple sticks of RAM, it'll also list "Slot #2" or the like).
(08-21-2023, 04:57 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]One quick & easy thing is to just see if changing the graphics backend between OpenGL and Vulkan makes any difference.

But other than that, there are two things.

#1 Check if your RAM is single-channel or dual-channel (you can find this out via the program CPU-Z in its "Memory" tab in the "Channel #" section). If it says "single" then that'll hurt your integrated GPU performance, especially with regards to running at higher resolutions since that is something that particularly cares about memory bandwidth.

#2 You have Intel graphics, and older-ish ones at that. The older your Intel graphics are, the worse the drivers are going to be on Windows and you might even need to use Linux to get the most out of your iGPU hardware.

That being said, I see that the GPD Win 2 has what is effectively the same GPU architecture, but the key difference is that it has LPDDR3 memory which you can roughly compare to dual-channel DDR4.  This farther leads me to believe that your own laptop is in fact running in single-channel mode.

This does remind me however that some laptops do the lame thing where, even with two sticks of RAM, they would still only run in single-channel mode so, if CPU-Z says you're running in single-channel, then also check the SPD tab and make sure you do in fact only have one stick of RAM by clicking on the drop-down menu labeled "Slot #1" (if you have multiple sticks of RAM, it'll also list "Slot #2" or the like).

Ohhh yeah my ram is single channel if thats what makes the difference in performance then ill at least make it dual channel tysm
I also tried dx11 12 and vulkan they all have pretty much the same fps for me (vulkan might be better) but theya re better than opengl
Again thank you so much