Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: VBI Skip resolves NSMBW BT passthrough disconnect issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just closing the loop on an old issue.

I reported years ago on an issue that drove me nuts and I could never fully resolve, where NSMWB would experience frequent disconnections when using BT passthrough with a real Wii BT adapter.  It was also hard to get wiimotes to connect upon game launch.  The only way to avoid these issues was to disable vsync, which is undesirable due to screen tear.  For a while, vulkan was immune to this, but eventually it too started experiencing the problem.

Well, now after a long period of inactivity I decided to see how things were doing and realized the issue was still there.  I played trial and error with a few graphics options and stumbled into the fact that enabling the newish "VBI Skip" feature entirely cures this problem for me: rock-solid connection from launch to finish on NSMBW.  It also fixes hit & miss initial wiimote connection on Skyward Sword.

I hope this helps others.
Please take a look into this. Since we reported many times correlation between graphics backend and bt passthrough problems.
(08-11-2023, 09:38 PM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]Just closing the loop on an old issue.

I reported years ago on an issue that drove me nuts and I could never fully resolve, where NSMWB would experience frequent disconnections when using BT passthrough with a real Wii BT adapter.  It was also hard to get wiimotes to connect upon game launch.  The only way to avoid these issues was to disable vsync, which is undesirable due to screen tear.  For a while, vulkan was immune to this, but eventually it too started experiencing the problem.

Well, now after a long period of inactivity I decided to see how things were doing and realized the issue was still there.  I played trial and error with a few graphics options and stumbled into the fact that enabling the newish "VBI Skip" feature entirely cures this problem for me: rock-solid connection from launch to finish on NSMBW.  It also fixes hit & miss initial wiimote connection on Skyward Sword.

As in your reply to my thread, enabling VBI Skip fixed my issues with NSMBW, but also beyond that seems to fix Wiimote audio stability and cursor issue in Super Mario Galaxy 2 with jittery pointer when selecting save files, etc.  

Great find.
(08-11-2023, 09:38 PM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]Just closing the loop on an old issue.

Just a second reply to this, as I'm pretty excited about this find.  I just tested with Donkey Kong Country Returns which is a game that has many wiimote sounds (every time you jump on an enemy, ground and pound, collect an item), and it was nearly 100% consistent in playing the sounds and even further away then I could usually play without getting dropouts or distorition.

What is fascinating is that VBI skip is meant for older systems I think and to keep the music going even if there is lag.  I am on a Core i5 9600K and a GTX 1080, which I don't think are weak by any means. But I sometimes do see games stutter when loading a level, for instance. But even with NSMB, perhaps even microlag (a term I'm just making up for this purpose) is enough to through off the bluetooth passhthrough. And I can only imagine that with Vsync off (or using a higher monitor refresh rate), perhaps the emulation is running faster internally or something.  This is not very technical.  

So, I see you have a similarly powerful system.  I am curious more for diagnostics what monitor you run in terms of refresh rate. As I didn't seem to have this issue on my other computer with a gsync monitor set at 144hz. Only on this living room system with the 60hz monitor.
Honestly it sounds like said computers were having some kind of issue maintaining exactly full speed, either too fast/too slow or some kind of I/O issue, and VBI skip more or less forces things to line up to your computers speed as best as possible at expense of the game (rather than the emulator) lagging. Why this happens, I don't know, but I'd have to say this is either a hardware issue or some kind of weird conflict that isn't well understood.
(08-13-2023, 11:11 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly it sounds like said computers were having some kind of issue maintaining exactly full speed, either too fast/too slow or some kind of I/O issue, and VBI skip more or less forces things to line up to your computers speed as best as possible at expense of the game (rather than the emulator) lagging.  Why this happens, I don't know, but I'd have to say this is either a hardware issue or some kind of weird conflict that isn't well understood.

As I've noted in my other thread, with New Super Mario Bros Wii, the issue was reproduced on a completely separate system if the monitor was set to 60hz, vs. anything above that. Also the fact that there are prior posts with people having this issue with NSMB and having to change the backend or turn off vsync would indicate there is some conflict or underlying issue.  This was using two separate WIi bluetooth modules as well (as I was trying to figure out if perhaps I wired one up incorrectly).

Furthermore, the max % is also a hint for me - NSMB was stuck at max % of 100%, even when other games it would go to 300-400% (and in NSMB would also increase with VBI sync on).

There is absolutely some interplay between Dolphin, the graphical backend, the game, and the display that seems to be giving rise to some issues with bluetooth passhthrough and timing/sycing with the wiimote.

I know from the log that if VBI skip is off, on both of my systems where the display was set to 60hz vsync on, there was USB failure errors in the log, but only for NSMB and Skyward Sword.

But again, the game speed is 100% even with VBI skip on or off.  There was no lag in the gameplay that was noticeable.
Problem connecting wiimote at Wii warning screen cant be related to weak hardware. It happen in one or two games and with specific video backend (not the same backend for every user) It just blink and wont connect until like 30 sec after booting game.

It's a conflict who knows where.
One thing that was mentioned was the monitor being set to 60Hz, but NTSC games should be running at 59.94 Hz, right?
(08-13-2023, 11:47 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that was mentioned was the monitor being set to 60Hz, but NTSC games should be running at 59.94 Hz, right?

I changed my monitor to 59.94 Hz and still had the same issue - the way I could "fix" it before testing VBI skip was to turn the monitor resolution above 60hz or change gamespeed to anything other than 100% (slower or faster seemed to work), and when I mean fix it, the max % went back to being 200+% like every other game. So that's what I am focusing on - even when the passthrough wasn't working the game speed itself was at 100%, but the max % (which I can only assume is what the underlying system can actually run the game at, OR what it actually processing it in the background) was stuck at 100%. I have no idea why that would change with a change in monitor refresh rate or using VRR with a higher refresh rate. In both cases the games FPS was still 59.94.

There is something specific at least about NSBM and Skyward Sword it seems about how they run vs. other games.  The wiimote data I recall reading.
(08-13-2023, 10:32 PM)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]Problem connecting wiimote at Wii warning screen cant be related to weak hardware. It happen in one or two games and with specific video backend (not the same backend for every user) It just blink and wont connect until like 30 sec after booting game.

It's a conflict who knows where.

When you have this issue, can you turn on the display for FPS and max speed.  I'd also be curious what refresh rate you are running your monitor at, if in your if your max % is also stuck at 100 at the warning screen and during parts of the game, and unlocks with a higher refresh rate.
Pages: 1 2