Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Only using 25% of cpu time on i7 - but only 30-40fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gumbert

Hi, I just downloaded this and tinkering with it right now. Sorry if it's been asked before but is it possible to get this to work on all cores instead of just two?
I've got an i7, and it's hyperthreaded to 8 cores (going to reboot and deactivate that later, see if that helps), and the emulator is only using 25% of CPU resources - I'm guessing it's using just cores 0 and 1, but not 2-7 right?
(01-10-2010, 10:28 AM)Gumbert Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I just downloaded this and tinkering with it right now. Sorry if it's been asked before but is it possible to get this to work on all cores instead of just two?
I've got an i7, and it's hyperthreaded to 8 cores (going to reboot and deactivate that later, see if that helps), and the emulator is only using 25% of CPU resources - I'm guessing it's using just cores 0 and 1, but not 2-7 right?
There seems to be a recurrent problem with mobile i7. There is already a lenghty topic on the PCXS2 emulator forums of a guy that has the exact same components in two laptops, but one has a C2D and another a mobile i7.

He made several tests, and although the i7 performs much better on other intensive tasks (3ds Max, Cinebench, video converting, etc), he found out the i7 gives him less 20 fps on average than the C2D on emulators such as the dolphin or the pcxs2.
Link:
forums.pcsx2.net/thread-11518-page-5.html
(forum seems to be down at the moment)
Cached version:
http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:Q-s...en&ct=clnk

Gumbert

I didn't know the i7 was a mobile chip - there are 2 types?. I've only recently bought a new desktop - been out of date with spec knowledge for a while so I'm not sure what's what lately.

Here's my specs anyway
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
6GB RAM
Zotac 8800GT
in my i7 ( i920 @ 3.8ghz + NV GTX285 ) run really fast +/- 60 fps , under Win 7 x64, but only two cores are used by dolphin.
(01-10-2010, 11:01 AM)Gumbert Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't know the i7 was a mobile chip - there are 2 types?. I've only recently bought a new desktop - been out of date with spec knowledge for a while so I'm not sure what's what lately.

Here's my specs anyway
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
6GB RAM
Zotac 8800GT
Ooh, sorry.

Most of the folks that post HD videos of Dolphin Emu on youtube use the desktop i7 and they seem to have no problems at running most games on the 50/60 fps area.

We can't say the same of the mobile users that seem to have the same problem you're having now, so, I assumed you were using the mobile i7 chip for laptops (wich have a qm after the number).

All things cleared, you probably just need to tweak settings/get specific revision/etc.

EDIT: Wich revision were you using, game, and do you have the option "Run in two cores" enabled?

Gumbert

Thanks for the replies.

This is the Xtreme2damax x64 4788 build. I tried the Orleans version, but it had problems initializing both the DX and openGL plugins (VC and DX11 and all other required stuff listed are installed). I tried disabling and enabling both dual core and ""lock threads to cores" options, but there's no real difference in performance.
I'll try another build tomorrow, see if that's any help.

I've only got Metroid Prime (GC version) at the moment. Opening menus is about 30-35 FPS, the start of the game is about 40, but with weird graphical glitches - polygon borders being yellow etc, but I haven't played around much with the video settings yet.

For some reason the emulator is seeing my CPU as having 16 cores, if that's any use to anyone?

Edit: Ok, I just tried it without hyperthreading - CPU usage went up to 40%, but no increase in framerate, oh well

Thanks anyways, guess I'm out of luck for now.
Dolphin will only use two logical cores maximum. When you had hyperthreading enabled it might have been running on one actual core and one hyperthreading core giving lower performance. However, your hardware should be plenty powerful enough to run most games in Dolphin well with hyperthreading disabled. I've got a similar video card and an older processor, so your system should be running games about as fast if not faster than mine. Unfortunately I don't have Metroid Prime on hand to help you troubleshoot :/ Try using the Direct3D 9 plugin if you haven't already. It tends to give higher performance than the OpenGL plugin nowadays.

By the way, the i7 isn't a mobile chip. There's just a mobile version of it Smile

Gumbert

Haven't tinkered with it since. I tried it without hyperthreading, but the weird thing was all it did was increase the load on my CPU, but no actual boost in FPS. I'll give it another go when I have time, rip some other games and try different builds and plugins. Thanks for the help though

edit:

OK I've just tried the US version of Mario Kart Double Dash (apparently my PAL version doesn't work) and I'm getting a solid 60fps on that. So it's either the low poly count on Mario Kart, or an incompatibility with Metroid.

Just a shame F-Zero doesn't work. It's all I wanted to play on here really. Cool job on the emulator though