Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: screenshots question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I will take a lot of screenshots so I would like to know what would be the best options for what I'm looking for:

I prefer them to be native resolution, as sharp as possible, and preferably in the correct aspect-ratio as long as it doesn't affect sharpness noticeably (otherwise I don't mind the aspect-ratio slightly wrong), from what I've seen when I select "Dump at internal resolution" with 4:3 aspect-ratio it's blurrier than with auto aspect-ratio (resulting in a slightly wrong aspect-ratio of course) on the other hand with the "crop" option in the Advanced tab the aspect ratio is correct and the sharpness is not noticeably affected (even if the pixels are a little different) but I don't know how does this crop option work or if it's a good idea for what I'm looking for (maybe it's the name that confuses me)
Crop is for presentation, it shouldn't affect screenshots at all when using Dump at Internal Resolution. (if it does we messed something up)

Basically games will always be ~around~ 4:3, 16:9, or 5:4 (PAL) but thanks to analog shenanigans, they are never exactly one of those aspect ratios. Crop just zooms in a tiny bit to make the image fill one of those target aspect ratios. You lose a small bit of rendered pixels at the top and bottom, but it fills your screen. Also since the resolutions are multiples on the X axis, it usually results in a slightly better image, depending on your screen resolution of course. But yea, shouldn't affect your screenshots if you have Dump at Internal Resolution enabled. If it does, show me some evidence and I'll investigate it.
(08-05-2023, 01:20 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Crop is for presentation, it shouldn't affect screenshots at all when using Dump at Internal Resolution. (if it does we messed something up)

Basically games will always be ~around~ 4:3, 16:9, or 5:4 (PAL) but thanks to analog shenanigans, they are never exactly one of those aspect ratios. Crop just zooms in a tiny bit to make the image fill one of those target aspect ratios. You lose a small bit of rendered pixels at the top and bottom, but it fills your screen. Also since the resolutions are multiples on the X axis, it usually results in a slightly better image, depending on your screen resolution of course. But yea, shouldn't affect your screenshots if you have Dump at Internal Resolution enabled. If it does, show me some evidence and I'll investigate it.

Thank you,
so the aspect-ratio is never exact anyway, that's interesting to know, I think I'll just stick to "Dump at internal resolution" and Auto Aspect-Ratio, and if another day I want my screenshots with the exact aspect-ratio I guess it's still possible to do it with image software and the right resamplers (correct me if I'm wrong, since it worked differently with analog video I think it's may not be that simple).