Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance feedback - linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

Here my feedback with a PhenomII x4 and 8Go ddr3 ram.
(and ubuntu, flatpack dolphin version)

- with Radeon 5450 hd fanless graphic card - open GL 3.4

Dolphin run and can play wind waker, for the beginning, with few lags. But after 1 hour, it became really awfully lagged, so not playable, even if it don't crash or break.

- with GTX 770 graphic card - open GL 4.6 nvidia drivers

All fine! (but more noise because of fans!)

Code:
~$ glxinfo -B
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Memory info (GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info):
    Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB
    Total available memory: 2048 MB
    Currently available dedicated video memory: 1635 MB
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.182.03
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.182.03
(06-15-2023, 11:02 PM)Gloidz Wrote: [ -> ]Hello.

Here my feedback with a PhenomII x4 and 8Go ddr3 ram.
(and ubuntu, flatpack dolphin version)

- with Radeon 5450 hd fanless graphic card - open GL 3.4

Dolphin run and can play wind waker, for the beginning, with few lags. But after 1 hour, it became really awfully lagged, so not playable, even if it don't crash or break.

Have you checked the GPU temperatures?
I have the exact same GPU and have not just one but two Phenom II CPUs (920 x4 AM2+ and 565 x2 AM3 unlockable to x4) I can do more detailed and/or specific testing if you'd like, and I can go anywhere from like 1GB of RAM to 32GB of RAM.

It is however worth noting that the Phenom II came in many different clockspeed variations - they generally started at 2.5GHz but by the later models went all the way up to 3.7GHz.

Also note that the HD5450 is really weak for a discrete GPU - would you believe that even the cut-down variant of Haswell's integrated graphics found in the likes of the G3258 is actually faster than the HD5450? (at least with dual-channel DDR3-1600 and also tested on Linux). Also even the lowly HD4670 is miles faster than both (but it doesn't support ubershaders let alone Vulkan and, for its price of ~$10-$20, there are much newer Vulkan-capable GPUs or even entire CPUs with faster iGPUs - I'm particularly fond of LGA1150 Xeon CPUs, but keep in mind that some are 4c/4t instead of 4c/8t and not all models have integrated graphics)
(06-16-2023, 05:15 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked the GPU temperatures?

No need. "after 1hour" means "after 1 hour of game progression".
Yeah, my phenom II is a 945 (95w).