Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't install via Ubuntu Repository
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am on Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon.

When I try to add the Dolphin emulator repository for Ubuntu (which should work since all Ubuntu derivatives are said to work) using the command "sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dolphin-emu/ppa", which is the command given in the installation guide for Ubuntu. When I execute it, I am given the error "Cannot add PPA: ''No supported PPA of this name was found.''.". Yes, I have added the universe repository. I have no clue why this doesn't work.
IIRC the PPA doesn't exist anymore.
(06-04-2023, 04:57 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC the PPA doesn't exist anymore.

Wdym? Is there an alternative, or will I just have to install from source or use the Flatpak?
Flatpak may be the easy option if it works, but I built it from source in Linux Mint recently with the following commands:

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends git cmake make gcc-11 g++-11 pkg-config

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends libao-dev libasound2-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libbluetooth-dev libbz2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libevdev-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libhidapi-dev  liblzo2-dev libmbedtls-dev libminiupnpc-dev libopenal-dev libpng-dev libpugixml-dev libpulse-dev libreadline-dev libsfml-dev libswscale-dev libsystemd-dev libudev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libwxbase3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev libxrandr-dev libzstd-dev

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends ca-certificates ffmpeg gettext qt6-base-dev qt6-base-private-dev

# If not already in ~/.bashrc:
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++-11
export CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++-11

git clone https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git dolphin-emu

cd ./dolphin-emu

git submodule update --init --recursive

mkdir Build && cd Build

cmake ..

make -j$(nproc)

sudo make install
(06-05-2023, 04:28 AM)GenerationI Wrote: [ -> ]Flatpak may be the easy option if it works, but I built it from source in Linux Mint recently with the following commands:

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends git cmake make gcc-11 g++-11 pkg-config

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends libao-dev libasound2-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libbluetooth-dev libbz2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libevdev-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libhidapi-dev  liblzo2-dev libmbedtls-dev libminiupnpc-dev libopenal-dev libpng-dev libpugixml-dev libpulse-dev libreadline-dev libsfml-dev libswscale-dev libsystemd-dev libudev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libwxbase3.0-dev libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev libxrandr-dev libzstd-dev

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends ca-certificates ffmpeg gettext qt6-base-dev qt6-base-private-dev

# If not already in ~/.bashrc:
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++-11
export CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++-11

git clone https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git dolphin-emu

cd ./dolphin-emu

git submodule update --init --recursive

mkdir Build && cd Build

cmake ..

make -j$(nproc)

sudo make install

I haven't compiled it yet, but if I were to do your steps, how would I go about uninstalling the Dolphin? I checked the GitHub page, but it said I would need to go into the build directory (https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin#uninstalling), so does this mean I have to keep the build directory if I want to be able to uninstall it? I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to compiling stuff, so I'm sorry if this comes off as a stupid question. I just don't want Dolphin to be stuck on my computer forever.
(06-05-2023, 05:42 AM)gunkey Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't compiled it yet, but if I were to do your steps, how would I go about uninstalling the Dolphin? I checked the GitHub page, but it said I would need to go into the build directory (https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin#uninstalling), so does this mean I have to keep the build directory if I want to be able to uninstall it? I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to compiling stuff, so I'm sorry if this comes off as a stupid question. I just don't want Dolphin to be stuck on my computer forever.

I think if you've executed the command that deletes everything in the install_manifest.txt file, then you just need to delete the dolphin-emu directory that contains all the source code including the Build directory. I don't like scarey wildcard deletes as root, so I would just do a file search on "dolphin-*" and delete those folders individually (note the hyphen, btw).

Another option is to build Dolphin as a portable installation, so everything is in a single directory which could even be on removable media. I did this once and it works very nicely, but I can't remember where I found the instructions for this. It just involved adding an additional option to the install command if I recall

EDIT: I see it now; it's on the same page as the uninstall instructions, a little way further up: Linux Portable Build Steps.
(06-05-2023, 08:39 PM)GenerationI Wrote: [ -> ]I think if you've executed the command that deletes everything in the install_manifest.txt file, then you just need to delete the dolphin-emu directory that contains all the source code including the Build directory. I don't like scarey wildcard deletes as root, so I would just do a file search on "dolphin-*" and delete those folders individually (note the hyphen, btw).

Another option is to build Dolphin as a portable installation, so everything is in a single directory which could even be on removable media. I did this once and it works very nicely, but I can't remember where I found the instructions for this. It just involved adding an additional option to the install command if I recall

EDIT: I see it now; it's on the same page as the uninstall instructions, a little way further up: Linux Portable Build Steps.
Sorry, I didn't really understand your explanation. What do you mean by 'wildcard deletes as root"? In which directory would I search "dolphin-*"? I'm kinda an autist when it comes to computers and software. I think my original reply was a bit confusing so here's my question rephrased: How would I delete Dolphin off my computer if I deleted the source and build directories (including install_manifest.txt). Would I have to dig into the root and find where it's installed? If so, then do you know where it's installed? Also I don't really want to use the portable version, because I prefer having Dolphin on my home screen since I use it a lot. Also, Flatpak doesn't work due to a major bug that I assume is exclusive to that version (https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-mo...dowing-bug). Thanks for all the help!
Almost everything is in a directory called dolphin-emu. The location of this directory is wherever you executed the git clone https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git dolphin-emu command from (normally your home directory).

All the other files and locations are listed in the install_manifest.txt file, and need root permissions to be able to delete them. The root user has the user name root and has the ability to delete anything and everything from your PC, so you need to know what you are doing. You can execute a command as if you are root by preceding the command with sudo and entering your password. You really need to know what you are doing or you can wreck your system. A wildcard character in a file name is * (asterisk), which matches any other characters, so for example, *.txt matches all file names that end in .txt.

You need to have some Linux experience before trying things like this. Bye the way, a portable installation does not have to be on removable media; it can be anywhere you like on your PC, and it's easy to delete because it's all in one directory.
(06-06-2023, 05:43 AM)GenerationI Wrote: [ -> ]Almost everything is in a directory called dolphin-emu. The location of this directory is wherever you executed the git clone https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git dolphin-emu command from (normally your home directory).

All the other files and locations are listed in the install_manifest.txt file, and need root permissions to be able to delete them. The root user has the user name root and has the ability to delete anything and everything from your PC, so you need to know what you are doing. You can execute a command as if you are root by preceding the command with sudo and entering your password. You really need to know what you are doing or you can wreck your system. A wildcard character in a file name is * (asterisk), which matches any other characters, so for example, *.txt matches all file names that end in .txt.

You need to have some Linux experience before trying things like this. Bye the way, a portable installation does not have to be on removable media; it can be anywhere you like on your PC, and it's easy to delete because it's all in one directory.

Thanks for the help. I already know what the root is and general Linux knowledge, I just didn't really get what you where saying previously. I didn't know what a wildcard was, though, so thanks for that! See ya!