Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin and Mayflash W010 on linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I have done quite a bit searching and I have reached a dead end and I am hopeful someone has overcome my experience using dolphin with the Mayflash W010 sensor bar.

I currently have dolphin running on Ubuntu (20.04) and am trying to use a Mayflash W010 (mode 4) for wiimote connectivity however I am not getting any response from the wiimote after it has synced. I have tested dolphin/mayflash in Windows 10 and it detected and worked well but I want to integrate dolphin into my media centre which runs on Ubuntu. Within Ubuntu, when I set the mode to 1 or 2 on the sensor bar the wiimote works as a pointer in so I know Ubuntu is receiving input from the sensor bar. So the problem is either Ubuntu handling the Mayflash sensor bar in mode 4 or it is something to do with dolphin not playing nice with the device. 

My configuration
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 (Kernel 5.19.0-41-generic)
Dolphin emulator version: 5.0-19316 (Revision 8e6e6f3c4ac691f3db9c045945a61ecf271afdd7)
QT Version: 6.2.4
Controller configuration: See attached screenshot

I have also tried it on Ubuntu 20.04, dolphin 5.0 with the same outcome.

Trying alternative approaches I have had some success in my Ubuntu using my wiimotes if I connect them via bluetooth (usb bluetooth adapter) but to take this approach I need to use the official wii sensorbar connected to an actual Wii for the infrared detection which defeats the purpose. I realise I can get a usb Wii sensorbar and use this approach but I really like the feature of the Mayflash of all the syncing is done through it.

Has anyone had success in Ubuntu using the Mayflash W010 sensor bar working with Dolphin? Is there something additional you need to do within the OS/Dolphin configuration in order to make this setup work?

Is there a way to enable some verbose debug logging perhaps when you start dolphin which may help me diagnose the issue?

Thanks.
Just a follow up on my investigation and perhaps someone who has had success with the Ubuntu/Mayflash setup might be able to provide guidance.

Just to add to the above, I have tried a quite a few suggestion such as udev rules, setting usb privileges as well as but all without success.

I was hoping if someone has had success with linux/mayflash for a wiimote then I would be interested in seeing the WiimoteNew.ini and how the device is listed for the connected wiimote. I just wonder if my file is not working as intended after I set the controller config for my wiimote so If anyone has a working linux/mayflash setup then I would be very greatful if you can post it here.

Thanks in advance!
A further update on my investigation to this problem

I have managed to confirm that Ubuntu does receive input data from the Wiimote when synced through Mayflash. I ran the following: -

lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 057e:0306 Nintendo Co., Ltd Wii Remote Controller RVL-003

Using the vendor:product I was able to monitor the input data by running
usbhid-dump -es -m 057e:0306

From this when I pressed the various buttons on the wiimote I could see differing input for each button and this to me confirms Ubuntu recognises the wiimote. This leads me to change my focus on dolphin emulator using the device and this is where I am stuck but yet still investigating. I am trying to manually change the "device" line of the WiimoteNew.ini file which I know is grasping at straws but it is all I can think of at this stage.

If anyone has a working mayflash/ubuntu/dolphin setup where they use "real wwimote" as the controller and not via bluetooth then I am very interested in knowing what the WiimoteNew.ini file contains. This file is located in the <userhomedir>/.config/dolphin directory. I would appreciate it someone can post theirs if they have a working setup.

Thanks in advance.
May not be the same as your issue, but sounds like a very similar issue.
Essentially the OS is directly managing the wiimote, rather than through dolphinbar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comme...team_deck/
(05-25-2023, 11:15 PM)Dardardrinks Wrote: [ -> ]May not be the same as your issue, but sounds like a very similar issue.
Essentially the OS is directly managing the wiimote, rather than through dolphinbar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comme...team_deck/

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did have a look at that but I don't think that is similiar to what I am experiencing. I did try it out thinking if I could somehow disable it in the OS but the only way I could do that would be to disable the USB port but as you can expect, once I did that the dolphinbar didn't work or be recognised.

I would be interested to learn if anyone has had success with Mayflash W010 (mode 4) and a linux setup with dolphin. For now I am considering just reverting to a USB wii sensor bar and have the connectivity go through using bluetooth which for me does work in linux without any real issues which is a shame.
I had the same problem.

In Ubuntu 22.04 everithing (also with multiple controlls) works just fine with original Wiimotes after seting up the udev rules. https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/b...vice.rules

But the combination Dolphinbar/Third-party Controller/Dolphin-emu 5.0/Linux does not work. Or maybe sometimes works in a limited way.
(05-18-2023, 02:44 PM)Bob4324 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I had the same problem on ubuntu 22.04 and I tried to get where the trouble is.
Windows OK, former version of Linux OK, mac OK.
So I tried different version of dolphin snap KO, ppa repo KO and this one works for me :
https://www.appimagehub.com/p/1567651
Precisely this version :

Dolphin-Emulator-5.0-16793-x86-64.AppImage

The dolphin bar works great on ubuntu 22.04 and the real wiimotes also, china ones and nintendo ones.

Thanks for all your investigations which helped a lot.