Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Request: Custom location for HD Texture folders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Request for the android version of Dolphin.
As Googles new layer they have put in right down at the OS level in order to support Scoped Storage, it has now made ALL file operations much slower.

It would make usability of HD textures much better if we could manually choose the location of the HD textures, just like we choose the location of our ISO files.
Sorry to break it to you, but if we were to make this configurable, it would make loading custom textures much slower. Scanning for ISO files also became much slower when we moved it to the new system Google requires for selecting a folder, but it's less noticeable there because you typically have a lot fewer ISO files than the average texture pack has image files.
Thanks for taking your time to reply! I guess I will have to sit through the hour or two it takes to move the files into the specific folder then.
Cheers!
If anything, maybe we should add a resource pack manager to the Android GUI, so you can add textures using zip files... The Storage Access Framework has a lot of per-file overhead, so by switching from copying thousands of files to one file, the copy operation should finish much faster.
Jos - can you not change the 'Load' location on Android?

I'd wait adding anything resource pack related, as I'm hoping to get rid of that in favor of more general-purpose graphics mods. Already at least one review out there to move in this direction.
(05-13-2023, 03:41 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Jos - can you not change the 'Load' location on Android?

My first post in this topic explains why that's not feasible to implement. The performance degradation would be horrible.

But yes, resource packs are a feature that never really reached much adoption. I'm very much open to options, but it has to all come in one file if we want to provide a good experience to Android users.
(05-13-2023, 03:46 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]My first post in this topic explains why that's not feasible to implement. The performance degradation would be horrible.

Apologies, I did read it but didn't quite understand it. Re-reading, I think I get it now. There's a "fast" location for Android to read files and anywhere else is "slow", this is ok for ISOs because there aren't too many but for textures it'll be a lot worse.